Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-03-2018, 06:25 AM

Default Are We Alone? Are there Options?

I am curious about something. Is the audio development world the only ones having major issues battling Windows operating systems for a more stable platform? What about gamers? They have high audio/video usage and probably drive at least part of the tweaking world.

In a related question, I thought there was a version of the OS where enterprises would/could make the decision to upgrade, update and to turn off data collection and other constant applications running in the background?

I've seen a bit of chit-chat online about dual boot systems such as different versions of the OS, maybe, or different OS's period. Unix based, maybe? Point is, is there anything else we can use that isn't subject to first-world OS systems kicking our teeth in?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Are We Alone? Are there Options?

Only people who have problems generally post anything. The Windoze installed base is immense as is the vast number of us who don't have any problems. Reading forums can be very misleading.

We in audio are hitchhiking on operating systems and computers that were never intended for real-time operation simply because this makes everything far cheaper. I suppose at some point we'll need to move to real-time operating systems on computers that can't do anything but audio from one developer.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Are We Alone? Are there Options?

I work everyday under windows and it's really stable, can record big band sessions and big mixes with lots of plug-ins with the buffer set at 64.
With an i5 6600 cpu and 16gb of ram.

My perception is that mac users have endless issues with os versions and PT version and plug-in version and they seem to suffer way more that I do.

But most multi pltaform users say it's quite the same on mac and windows