Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-1998, 03:00 PM

Default Dissapointed !!!!!! SDII & D24

The fact that there is no longer the ability to run SDII with D24 Hardware is more than regretable. If anyone else feels the same let me know. If anyone has an equal or better solution than being extreemly dissapointed please let me know.

Thanks

Al
Old 05-07-1998, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Dissapointed !!!!!! SDII & D24

I know what you mean! I can't believe digi isn't going to at lease investigate a 2 track editing program thats compatible! For now, I suggest Bias Peak 1.65. It is very similar to SD2 and is faster! It can use native premier type plugins, like the waves stuff and others. It also can use plugin in the playlist format. The only disadvantage comes from digi. You must use the D24 output driver to listen to Peak. No input drivers exist, so you must bring source material via pro-tools or CD Copy or whatever. The files that Peak generates are identical to SD2. Check it out! I've used SD2 for 6 years and find Peak to be just about as good! Gary
Old 05-09-1998, 05:56 PM

I don't agree Peak is as good ... yet. But it's getting there. One big disadvantage with anything using Premier Plug-Ins - or Audiosuite - is that you have to rely on the Mac's cpu for previewing etc. No matter how much Digi dsp you've bought, you can't use it in these cases. So, you have to put up with 'jerky' previews, and delays when parameters are adjusted. With SDII, it's another story. Because it can use your Digi dsp, the whole previewing process is superior. Especially important is the fact that Plug-In parameter changes have an instantaneous effect e.g. Waves stuff in SDII/NuBus Macs. It's a boon when trying to notch out a frequency, for instance. Doing this with Premier or Audiosuite stuff is really awkward because you have to wait for the preview to repeat before (or whatever) before you hear the parameter change. And talking of Audiosuite, there's no Undo. Can you believe this?!

I am also really disappointed in Digidesign's lack of commitment to keeping SDII up to date. All we can do is to keep complaining, I guess.
Old 05-11-1998, 02:38 PM

Full-scale Sound Designer II development has been put on hold for the following reasons:

- Its codebase is extremely out of date, and needs a complete re-write.
- The compiler it was written with/for is so out of date that we've reached the maximum source code file size it can handle. I.e., we cannot add any more lines of code, or it won't compile(!)
- We've recognized that it's terribly inefficient to develop multiple codebases in parallel, and given the fact that further upgrades to SDII would require a total re-write, we decided that our users would be best served by focusing all of our SW development on a single codebase: Pro Tools.

We recognize that we're not there yet. So, to all you diehard SDII fans: we thank you for your patience and understanding, and we solicit your input as to how we can modify Pro Tools to meet all your editing needs.

BTW: AudioSuite does support Undo within Pro Tools, though strictly speaking it's not really needed, since destructive / non-destructive processing is user-selectable option.

Finally: BIAS/Peak will soon ship support for DAE/TDM, which will enable Peak users to utilize the TDM hardware of Pro Tools III and Pro Tools|24 systems.
Old 05-22-1998, 06:22 PM

You could at least enable Pro Tools to handle interleaved files with out having to split them up. It would be nice.

Dan
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 06-22-1998, 03:21 PM

PT certainly has some way to go to match SDII for classical stereo editing. I must have the ability to adjust region boundaries and crossfade parameters in one dialogue. With PT you have to delete the crossfade before you can adjust the boundaries - far too long-winded. In the meantime, if we could open SDII playlists in PT it would be a big step forward.
Old 06-22-1998, 03:22 PM

PT certainly has some way to go to match SDII for classical stereo editing. I must have the ability to adjust region boundaries and crossfade parameters in one dialogue. With PT you have to delete the crossfade before you can adjust the boundaries - far too long-winded. In the meantime, if we could open SDII playlists in PT it would be a big step forward.
Old 06-22-1998, 03:23 PM

Old 06-22-1998, 03:23 PM

Old 06-22-1998, 03:24 PM