Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Re: HDX vs Native

Just curious - when we discuss HDX versus native are we specifically talking about the HD Native card/box, or also about Pro Tools software in general i.e. with a third-party interface?

I have no plans to track using my mix setup, but I wonder - given the Quantum 4848 is a Thunderbolt 2 interface like the Avid HD Native box, how the two compare in terms of latency... I'm not one for statistics but I understand the Quantum's round-trip latency is supposed to be class-leading.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 05-23-2019, 02:31 PM

All native systems... only difference between Avid HDN and other native interfaces is that Avid HDN has two digilinks which means 64 i/o
Old 05-23-2019, 02:41 PM

You can't really compare latency numbers between the two because they don't include the interface.

My personal beef is with fader latency. Every console with moving faders has flunked that test for me because it always requires rehearsing moves. DAWs also have varying fader latency. HDX seems better than native.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
How so? Historically HDX is ancient and should be replaced with some kind of "accel" version soon..

Though this supposedly coming voice upgrade is going to be a kind of upgrade but still.. history says anytime soon (though don't hold your breath)
It’s just my opinion. I do hope Avid stays in the hardware business though. For me, There isn’t anything that has the same software and hardware integration like pro tools and hdx.

It would be amazing if they offered a more home budget friendly interface similar to hdx.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:19 AM

This is an interesting thread, it clearly shows the strengths of HDX in a recording situation. I totally agree having owned HDX, you can record through the software with no problematic latency at all, drop ins, headphone mixes are super tight etc etc. It just works.

However in in a purely 'post' situation, Native offers massively more bang for the buck on a modern fast computer than HDX, whether its HD Native or just using core audio.
Its not always down to voices either. Sessions can be not necessarily large in voices, but large in processing.

Offloading some processing to a card doesn't seemingly always give you more processing power these days.
The to and fro from the card to the cpu eats up resources.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 AM

I use an HD native system with Ravenna, I always use 32 ms and no issues, my sessions are small though.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 05-24-2019, 07:13 AM

Likely using 32 buffer not 32ms? Monitoring latency has nothing to do with small/large mixer. Only the hardware you're using and playback buffer you have chosen.

Of course you can mess it up with a plugin that introduces insane amount of delay, but that's another story, cannot use those with any system when you create a can mix.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:10 AM

i,ve been running a HDN system for 7 years now and have had the chance to work on a HDX system recently. To ear the HDX is much tighter. I don't the know measured differences but we have to remember to sometimes put the analytics down a listen, However, be sure you have a accurate line stage so you hear whats actually going on.

I will be switching to HDX as soon as i can afford it.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:31 AM

Make sure you aren't comparing a 192 feeding balanced inputs to one feeding unbalanced inputs. Balanced sounds surprisingly better. I've also noticed that HDX plug-ins often sound better and use fewer resources in HDN than native-only plugs.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I've also noticed that HDX plug-ins often sound better and use fewer resources in HDN than native-only plugs.
True, because the algorithm needs to be tuned to comply with DSP restrictions. However same plugin AAX-DSP and AAX-native should sound the same.