How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Default S6 bugs

S6 users,

Are any of you dealing with random bugs like mute lights not switching, volume rides occurring on tracks that don't actually have volume rides, meters (next to the faders) not working, the control / computer module freezing up, losing communication, etc.? Seems like I'm finding new problems every day. Really drains energy away from the task at hand.

I've got all the latest updates, firmware, etc. S6 M10 controlling PT11HD on a new Mac Pro.

Just looking for general feedback - every one of the problems is intermittent and power cycling usually fixes it.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:52 PM

Default Re: S6 bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud neighbor View Post
S6 users,

Are any of you dealing with random bugs like mute lights not switching, volume rides occurring on tracks that don't actually have volume rides, meters (next to the faders) not working, the control / computer module freezing up, losing communication, etc.? Seems like I'm finding new problems every day. Really drains energy away from the task at hand.

I've got all the latest updates, firmware, etc. S6 M10 controlling PT11HD on a new Mac Pro.

Just looking for general feedback - every one of the problems is intermittent and power cycling usually fixes it.
Hi Loud Neighbor,

Yeah, I have some of the same things happen on an identical system. Most often, some function doesn't work - like toggling between freq and "Q" - then I try it again later and it works. It's not real frequent and I'm new enough to using the S6 that I assume it's something I did wrong. But it's happened enough now that I'm pretty sure there's some instability going on with the S6. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the V1.3.release which is supposed to be out any minute now.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM

Same here. Little things here and there that are annoying. Changing a name of track doesn't show up on the s6 even after banking. Mute lights not coming on is common. Xmon randomly doesn't work and I have to select a alt set of speakers and switch back to mains to wake it up. S6 M10 on HDX1 on Windows. Like you said, power cycle usually helps. I would definitely recommend putting it on a UPS or protected power system of some sort. We took a power hit last week and all the systems were acting crazy until we did about 3 or 4 full system power cycles.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Yes s6 has a lot of growing to do. Stability is not there yet.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 PM

I've had the occasional issues with solos behaving strangely, and faders linking to each other that were not grouped. Always seems to resolve if I bank away and then back again. Also had issues with the soft keys on the master and automation modules going to sleep if not used for a while. Again resolved by banking to next page and back again on the soft keys menus.

What I have been experiencing the last couple of days though is protools crashing when I attention a track. After doing a lot of troubleshooting I have narrowed it down to a problem with Kontakt 5 running 3rd party sample libraries, and Omnisphere. If I have these active in the session I have to set a very high buffer (1024 samples), and if I attention a track, even an audio track with no plugins on it, protools will sometimes crash. At the moment I am getting around it by offline bouncing these VI's, but hope they fix it soon (I think the problem here is with PT 11.2 software, not the S6 directly). Anyone else experiencing PT crashing when attentioning a track?

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 AM

Same here.

I've just had the lead vocal disappear from the mix . .
Also, the soft keys cease to function.
A power cycle seems to do the trick.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~

Last edited by priorytools; 10-23-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
Same here. Little things here and there that are annoying. Changing a name of track doesn't show up on the s6 even after banking. Mute lights not coming on is common. Xmon randomly doesn't work and I have to select a alt set of speakers and switch back to mains to wake it up. S6 M10 on HDX1 on Windows. Like you said, power cycle usually helps. I would definitely recommend putting it on a UPS or protected power system of some sort. We took a power hit last week and all the systems were acting crazy until we did about 3 or 4 full system power cycles.
Yeah, I should have mentioned the XMON thing too. That's one specific component that's predictably unpredictable. Sometimes everything comes up fine. Sometimes I have to launch and relaunch the XMON S/W to get it to work, and sometimes nothing but a computer reboot will do the trick. I would say something goes wrong about 1/3 of the time. That guy definitely needs some attention.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Yeah, I should have mentioned the XMON thing too. That's one specific component that's predictably unpredictable. Sometimes everything comes up fine. Sometimes I have to launch and relaunch the XMON S/W to get it to work, and sometimes nothing but a computer reboot will do the trick. I would say something goes wrong about 1/3 of the time. That guy definitely needs some attention.
1/3 of the time? Not good. I haven't even hooked up XMON and probably won't. Don't want to give up my Avocet.

Hoping 1.3 isn't too far away - and that it is in fact more stable. In the meantime, I'm going to reorganize my UPS setup so I don't have to crawl under my desk every time I need to power cycle the modules. I guess it's good exercise though. For your health!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud neighbor View Post
1/3 of the time? Not good. I haven't even hooked up XMON and probably won't. Don't want to give up my Avocet.

Hoping 1.3 isn't too far away - and that it is in fact more stable. In the meantime, I'm going to reorganize my UPS setup so I don't have to crawl under my desk every time I need to power cycle the modules. I guess it's good exercise though. For your health!
My multimax is still my monitor controller too. Not sure why avid makes you buy an xmon with the s6. I would have left the 3000 dollar box off the pallets
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
My multimax is still my monitor controller too. Not sure why avid makes you buy an xmon with the s6. I would have left the 3000 dollar box off the pallets
Word on the street is that xmon was a temporary solution until they finish developing the 'real' monitoring option for the S6. It wasn't finished in time, but they didn't want to hold back the release of the S6.

If that is true, I hope they decide to offer a trade-up program from xmon to the new solution when it becomes available.