Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2014, 05:15 AM

Default Enabling Trim Disk Speed

I just read in tips & tricks that enabling trim with trim enabler tool should speed up my SSD hard drive but it doesnt.. I checked disk speed before and after enabling it and it was the same speed.. anyone knows what I´m doing wrong?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Enabling Trim Disk Speed

First of all it sometimes need a bit time until it takes action,
it may be helpful to shut down the computer and wait about 10min. before restarting it.
Secondly just go to open the Trimenabler again and see if it´s still active?
You should see the light green field and the app saying that it´s active and
everything ok.
If you see this just close the app, shut down the computer and restart it
after some time.

Finally which SSD are you using, what size and what speed does the speed test show?

Use these both (if you haven´t already).
https://itunes.apple.com/at/app/blac...25264550?mt=12
https://www.aja.com/en/family/software
Run both to get an average result.

All the best,

VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.3, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10,
Pro Tools 11.1.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 AM

ok I´ll try the 10min thing but trim definately shows up green now after restarting..
Old 06-16-2014, 07:10 AM

no speed effect at all.. still 250/sec - any other tricks to get the full 500/sec?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 PM

Hmmm, to be honest, being very sorry, having no idea actually...

250 is an unusual kind of speed for both Write and Read.
Most of the time the speed of the SSD is lower if Trim is not enabled
and higher if finally it is enabled.
My Samsung 840 Pro 128GB were at 150 Write/200 Read before,
390 Write/480 Read after enabling for example.

Have you checked your SATA/SATA Express settings, if it shows "yes"
at TRIM Support? Make sure that it shows "yes".

Further, which SSD are you using?
Which is the advertised speed for Write/Read?
And how full is the SSD?
Which speed test are you using?

If it would show "yes" in the SATA/SATA Express settings and everything else
would be working like it should, I have to admit, I would not know
what the problem could be?

There is another app you could try and of course you could try to use terminal commands
but that´s risky in a way...there´s a chance to mess up the system.

These are the links, but you may use it at your own risk.
http://chameleon.alessandroboschini.it/index.php

http://www.nick-p.info/enabling-trim...s-x-mavericks/

I´m sorry that I can´t help more.
The Trim enabler app usually works very well and without any complications for
the system and other programs.

Maybe someone else may chime in if he would know what to do?

Best of success to you anyway,

VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.3, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10,
Pro Tools 11.1.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc
Old 06-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeyy View Post
I just read in tips & tricks that enabling trim with trim enabler tool should speed up my SSD hard drive but it doesnt.. I checked disk speed before and after enabling it and it was the same speed.. anyone knows what I´m doing wrong?
Ah what exact SSD drive? Whether Trim is a good or bad idea depends on the drive (mostly a bad idea on some older Sandforce powered drives).

And what host computer do you have and what SSD drive connection? SATA II? SATA III? something else? (TRIM only works over SATA, eSATA and SATA over Thunderbolt, not USB or Firewire).

What do you mean by "speed"? And how are you measuring this? Are you measuring read? write? random or sequential throughput? And/or measuring latency? At what block size? cached? raw? What pre-test page dirty/disk prep do you do? There has been forum space in the past here on DUC wasted with people measuring cached write IO rates with useless performance utilities, thinking it said anything that useful about actual disk performance.

Enabling trim will only affect how efficiently dirty pages are freed and you will only usually see this if pushing the system with high *sustained* write rates.

Many attempts to quickly measure disk performance, especially with SSDs end in tears, these are very very complex beasts. Leave it to the professionals, like over an Anadtech's SSD reviews (http://www.anandtech.com).
Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ah what exact SSD drive? Whether Trim is a good or bad idea depends on the drive (mostly a bad idea on some older Sandforce powered drives).

And what host computer do you have and what SSD drive connection? SATA II? SATA III? something else? (TRIM only works over SATA, eSATA and SATA over Thunderbolt, not USB or Firewire).

What do you mean by "speed"? And how are you measuring this? Are you measuring read? write? random or sequential throughput? And/or measuring latency? At what block size? cached? raw? What pre-test page dirty/disk prep do you do? There has been forum space in the past here on DUC wasted with people measuring cached write IO rates with useless performance utilities, thinking it said anything that useful about actual disk performance.

Enabling trim will only affect how efficiently dirty pages are freed and you will only usually see this if pushing the system with high *sustained* write rates.

Many attempts to quickly measure disk performance, especially with SSDs end in tears, these are very very complex beasts. Leave it to the professionals, like over an Anadtech's SSD reviews (http://www.anandtech.com).
These are all the right questions and the solution if you will search out the answers. Trim is not a speed enhancer product rather its like a garbage collector for SSD. Over time it will keep the SSD from decreasing in speed due to fragmented files if you will. It collects all the files together creating a shorter distance and time to access the files. Darryl has given you where to start in order to find out what speed your drive is capable of and what speed it should reach. It all depends on the factors he listed above.

Last edited by zion; 06-17-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM

The good news is that nowadays we all can make music on a relatively high standard
technically wise without being at the mercy of scientists and high end professionals anymore.
That´s a great gift.

And for many of these other, average people/musicians the waste of space has just been helpful
as they could understand this simple kinda „language“ how to get their "invested money“ to work
like it should.

So for professionals and scientists this has been waste for sure, for other
people who just don´t have a clue what random or sequential throughput, block size, cache etc. etc.
means and who only wanted their newly bought SSD to work like advertised it was not for sure.

It´s honorable and great to know all this stuff but in fact not necessary for a „simple“ musician/producer whatever.
It´s about being able to use your system in the most simple and understandable way and about making good music.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 AM

I had an issue two days ago. My external HDs were not repairing with Disk Utility. My system drive is a Samsung 840 Evo. It does not support trim enable as stated. However things were going good until I installed Trim Enabler and a
Program called Amnesia. From then the repairing disk started failing. I then disabled the trim enabler, uninstalled it, uninstalled Amnesia also. I am not seeing any disk repair failure since then. One of them seems to be interacting with SPOTLIGHT. I cannot say which one. I just need a trouble free system to do my music. Maybe those Samsung SSD don't need any trim enabling after all
Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Default Enabling Trim Disk Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abre View Post
I had an issue two days ago. My external HDs were not repairing with Disk Utility. My system drive is a Samsung 840 Evo. It does not support trim enable as stated. However things were going good until I installed Trim Enabler and a
Program called Amnesia. From then the repairing disk started failing. I then disabled the trim enabler, uninstalled it, uninstalled Amnesia also. I am not seeing any disk repair failure since then. One of them seems to be interacting with SPOTLIGHT. I cannot say which one. I just need a trouble free system to do my music. Maybe those Samsung SSD don't need any trim enabling after all
If you need help for a specific problem how about starting a new thread and providing clear information about your system. Exact disk drive makes/models/firmware, filesystem, and exactly how they are connected to exactly what computer.

And explain why you are needing to repair disk (multiple times?) in the first place, which disk got corrupted and how/why this happened. What diagnostics (SMART status says what?)/tests you have run on that corrupted disk and wether you have or are going to replace it? If the system disk is corrupted is the system crashing/panicking?

You need to sort out fact from opinion and work out what is seriously wrong with your system. Samsung drives support TRIM, and can benefit significantly from what TRIM offers. Turning on TRIM for for an internal drive cannot affect (USB or Firewire) external drives. If you are seeing that it is more likely you are confusing yourself with a false correlation.

"Interacting with spotlight?" What does that mean exactly? Start by disabling spotlight for all drives, even if using Pro Tools 11.