Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-13-2018, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Best Imac for Protools 2019

At the risk of the details of Dropbox web compatibility potentially side-tracking Lars away from the core issue i.e. that his MacBook system is no longer up-to-date: Lars is probably using Safari - he's already mentioned that he had problems with Sweetwater's website, so upgrading OSX/MacOS and associated apps (such as Safari that will have also lapsed with his OS) will likely help with these side issues (evidently most here will appreciate this but just clarifying for Lars).

From - https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop...quirements#mac

System requirements for dropbox.com

You can transfer and download files from dropbox.com using most modern browsers. However, dropbox.com works best on the two most recent versions of:

Chrome
Firefox
Internet Explorer 11
Microsoft Edge
Safari

Apart from being more than a couple of OS versions behind, from experience, there are also limitations on folders and larger files when using the Dropbox website ... and if he regularly collaborates 'online', Lars is also a candidate to benefit from recent Pro Tools cloud collaboration features that he may not even be aware of.

Lars - FYI, in case useful to factor into your plans (although for now, as Darryl has stressed, making major changes mid-project wouldn't be recommended!):

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/cloud-collaboration

:)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But it seems that DropBox isn't working on his computer anymore according to what he wrote.

I wonder if you could comment on something he wrote in his last post here where he wrote that certain apps are no longer on his computer which seems weird. I'm beginning to think there's more going on than either he's telling us or doesn't have the tech smarts to say what's going on.
I'm trying to take in all the information on the several previous Posts. A lot for me sort out.. Much appreciated.

According to Apple Tech Support Dropbox, WeTransfer, the newer WAVES Plugins, not being able to access Sweetwater, missing Photo, IMovie, GarageBand Apps & other things is because I have the old 10.8.5 OS...

The more I think about it Might be best to wrap up the Album & Solo Projects I'm working on. Shouldn't they be safe if I saved them on both of my External Hard Drives?

Then do the Computer RAM, SSD & OS Upgrade. Install PT 2018. Then shouldn't I be good to go? As far as Dropbox or WeTransfer, WAVES etc..

Thanks
Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 AM

If you don't mind the interruption to your album, and as long as you have a good backup of your system drive (*see below), there's nothing stopping you doing what most Mac users do and simply upgrading your MacBook to the current MacOS now WITHOUT the hardware upgrades. I believe your model is compatible with Mojave and there have actually been developments since 10.8 that supposedly help speed up your Mac.

Short-term benefits/issues:

* Even the latest Pro Tools 2018.12 (released yesterday) has yet to be qualified for Mojave ... so you might be better off upgrading to High Sierra for now (not sure how - maybe Darryl could clarify if possible or even necessary). I'm not yet on Mojave myself so have only glanced at those threads, however understand that you should mostly be fine regardless (maybe a few Pro Tools tweaks if you hit specific issues)
* Web services - you'd get the latest Safari, so your Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc. problems should be resolved without spending a penny!
* Apple apps - you'd get the latest of all of these (side issue if you have yet to upgrade from iPhoto to Photos: if you use this app, read about the changes elsewhere - there might be some admin/work involved if you have a large library), however be prepared for long app downloads, updated instruments for Garageband, etc.
* Waves plugins - issues should be resolved, however care as they have recently released V10 and (unless you have paid Waves 'WUP' to upgrade previous versions e.g. up from V9) you will likely have an older version ... so when you get their installer (Waves Central), be sure to only use the latest version of V9 (assuming this is what you have now) as there appear to be issues with mixing versions on the same Mac
* Pro Tools - you would now be able to upgrade to the latest version (I'll leave it to others to advise if any other steps are appropriate if you need to continue a PT10 unfinished project in PT2018 - at the time of my PT10 to 11 upgrade, I recall having an issue with a specific plugin which was not yet available in AAX64, for example)

This approach should allow you to get over all your issues/frustrations quite quickly and hopefully get you back to working on your album ASAP (so you could visit the hardware upgrades as a subsequent step) ... however, you will have to set aside some more time to update all your third-party plugins to the latest version (might not even be an issue if you don't have many) and to find your way around new Pro Tools features as, I suggest that on a system like yours (quite similar issues to my own iMac BTW), features such as disk cache and track freezing will be a revelation (otherwise, it should all be very familiar) :)

I don't recall if Darryl offered any reasons to not do the OS upgrade first (or if I've missed any steps above - hopefully, others will validate?) - I think this thread progressed on the basis of the best hardware upgrades to optimise for Pro Tools. However, now that it appears that your workflow is being interrupted primarily by non-hardware issues (which you would have to address anyway if you keep the MacBook), there appear to be some quick wins in changing the order/process around, all of which could maybe be addressed over a weekend i.e. without waiting for new hardware to be delivered.

Let's see what the others think! :)

* System backup - ideally, this should be a clone (e.g. CCC), however a Time Machine backup should give you enough peace of mind for this OS upgrade. FYI, TM wouldn't allow for such a speedy recovery procedure as a clone, or allow to boot off the backup disk without restoring your internal system drive.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 PM

I went to my local Apple Store yesterday. I inquired about new & Refurbished IMacs.

32 GB Ram (Both)
Intel I7 (Both)
Retina Display (Both)
1T SSD (Both)
Radeon 580 Graphics (New) Radeon Pro 560 (Refurb)

The Refurb is 21.5". The new is 27.5".

Prices include Ca. Sales Tax & Apple Care 3 yr Warranty..

New is $4266.83
Refurb is $2961.83

Tomorrow I have an appt. with an Apple Certified Repair Co. to give me a quote to upgrade my MBP. 16GB Ram, 1T SSD. I'm thinking this is the best choice right now. It's less expensive & regardless if I get an IMac later this MBP will be upgraded & should be usefull for quite a while..

I appreciate you guys recommending I do it myself but I can't afford any errors.. Plus I want to be able to call Apple Tech support if I have a problem..

I have to take the MBP in to the appt tomorrow. Is there anything I should do prior to taking it in re; the ILok or ProTools or??

Is there anything I'm missing??

Thanks for all your help.

L
Old 12-18-2018, 03:14 PM

Most importantly, don’t leave the MacBook behind unless you’re sure you have a good backup (ideally a clone but otherwise, at least a Time Machine).

And worth getting a quote from the repair centre for the labour only (unlikely to be much more than an hour, although they might have fixed rates per component) i.e. with you supplying the parts. Therefore, it may be best to turn up with relevant details e.g. OWC RAM and SSD information as otherwise, they might steer you towards them supplying everything ... and if the costs of the upgraded MacBook approach increase too much, it might no longer be the most recommended option.

Remember however that some of your issues are related to an old operating system (OSX/MacOS) and application/plugin versions (Pro Tools, Waves, etc.), so these will persist even with the hardware upgraded.

Normally, you would address these software updates yourself - best to build confidence as this is ongoing administration anyway ... not sure how much of this a 3P might offer to do for you (maybe just the MacOS update?) but paying someone to spend hours downloading, installing, etc., let alone givng them access to your online accounts (such as Waves) might be expensive and unwise.

Good luck! :)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:00 PM

And DO NOT leave your ilok there when you go home and await repairs/upgrade as it’s nothing they need to do what you are gonna do with the MBP! If you leave the ilok and it disappers you are SOL.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-18-2018, 06:24 PM

backup (with carbon copy cloner). Backup your backups.

Apple may install macOS Mojave on the system, check with them...and you may have no choice. are you OK with that? Is that compatible with all your software?
Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 PM

Is there any reason I can't leave the ILok at home?

I've selected the 16 GB Ram & 1T SSD from OWC. I printed them out & will take copies with me.

Guess I need to pick up another External Hard Drive to System Backup...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2018, 11:23 PM

Basically, just leave your iLok at home as the repairer doesn’t need it + if it gets lost, you could lose your licences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
Guess I need to pick up another External Hard Drive to System Backup...
Make sure your new clone backup external disk is at least 1TB (so that you can continue to use it following the SSD upgrade) and then get the aforementioned Carbon Copy Cloner.

Before taking the MacBook in, you’ll have to use CCC:

* Copy all files from your ‘source’ (Macbook system disk, probably named Macintosh HD) to the destination (whatever you name your backup disk in Disk Utility when you format it after getting it home)
* Select any options to make the backup disk bootable
* Select the option to delete files on the destination that are not found on the source (this will make your clone an identical copy instead of accumulating old files that have been deleted on your MacBook since the last backup) - I think this is called SafetyNet (so can be set to ‘off’) and some prefer to use a separate Time Machine backup in the event they need an old, deleted file
* This process/job will probably be saved so that you may quickly repeat it in future
* Test the backup by booting your MacBook off the external drive ... so might take a bit longer to boot but your Mac should look identical to when you boot normally

Above from memory ... I’m sure someone will chime in if I’ve missed anything - this should become part of your future routine :)
Old 12-19-2018, 04:15 AM

Something that no one else has mentioned is something I ran into last year when I was trying to have my iMac video card replaced. To cut a long story short when I talked about it to Apple they wanted to have FileVault enabled on the computer. They also wanted me to have my own clone of what was on the drive (already mentioned).

It's a shame you're going to spend money with Apple doing what you could do yourself but if you don't have the confidence to do the job that's another matter. Maybe you can find a friend who will help you out? If you were here in NJ I'd do it for a bottle of Jack Daniels

QAPLA!