Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-12-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Which instrument plugins?

I'm looking for some new virtual instrument plugs to round out my HD3 system and need some advice on what to get. I'm currently using all the Spectrasonics stuff, Mach 5, Virus and the free Sampletank that came with ProTools. I'm looking at getting Charlie or NI B4 for organ, Synthology's Ivory for pno, maybe NI Absynth, and Lounge Lizard for elec pno. Any insights/opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Which instrument plugins?

used absynth as a stand-alone--amazing--everytime i open it, something new and exciting almost always seems to happen--
Old 04-12-2005, 10:01 AM

B4 is amazing and suprisingy stable for NI stuff. Virus Indigo is great and it's TDM. For analog sounds, Arturia Mini Moog V sounds awesome but does buggy things like changing patches anytime it feels like it. For drums, DrumKit From Hell Superior is pretty amazing. Reason has some really great stuff to offer as well. Cool instruments and a great sampler in the NN-XT. Good luck........
Old 04-12-2005, 11:04 AM

I use Synthogy Ivory, NI's B4, Absynth and Lounge Lizard as my constants. I've tried most but always come back to these - Ivory being quite a recent but welcome addition to the collection. Work for me though I do tend to print them when I am happy with the sounds rather than keep them running in the session.

I was using the Boesendorfer 290 Kompakt based plug for piano before but Ivory is so much better, imo. B4 is stable, and great at what it does - possibly the best of NI's lot really but I love Absynth just for it's ability to create off-the-wall sounds.

Lounge Lizard is another great plug - if I need Electric Piano s'where I go.

I'm on a G5 2.5 with HD3 on 10.3.8. PT6.7cs8. Works well for me. Occasional weirdness in Absynth but otherwise all fairly stable stuff.