Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-02-2021, 01:29 AM

Default Rendered instruments hanging PT 20.12

I have been trying to commit my Virtual Instruments to audio in a big session and PT 20.12 crashes/hangs when done every single time. The files are rendered and I can import them after a restart, but... Has anybody else seen this problem lately? It is not new to me, but I have not had it too much lately. I thought to myself yesterday: "this session has not crashed in days, even if I run 10+ VIs and many audio tracks" I also thought: "damn, I may have jinxed it by thinking everything was fine" - and that turned out to be true. I am sure it is some plugin causing it, but which one...

Phone +46707773443
Old 03-02-2021, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Rendered instruments hanging PT 20.12

Johan:
You've been here long enough to know you can't get good answers to questions if you don't provide any system details. That and things like what plugins are causing the problems (and don't say all of them)? Crashes to desktop or does PT just stop responding?

QAPLA!
Old 03-02-2021, 06:03 AM

I am sorry. Just banged out a quick question while restarting PT a couple of times... I am on a Mac Pro 2019 16 core, HDX system with plenty of RAM and I have by now 1000+ plugins. Not in that session, though, maybe just 50 different... It is a big session. So I was hoping to catch the eye of someone who had the same problem and found the culprit. So far, it does not seem to matter which VI I commit, so it is probably not the VIs that cause it. The render process completes and while importing the new file and creating a new track it just freezes to a standstill that can only be broken by force quitting PT. I have eucon enabled for my dock, btw...

Phone +46707773443
Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
I am sorry. Just banged out a quick question while restarting PT a couple of times... I am on a Mac Pro 2019 16 core, HDX system with plenty of RAM and I have by now 1000+ plugins. Not in that session, though, maybe just 50 different... It is a big session. So I was hoping to catch the eye of someone who had the same problem and found the culprit. So far, it does not seem to matter which VI I commit, so it is probably not the VIs that cause it. The render process completes and while importing the new file and creating a new track it just freezes to a standstill that can only be broken by force quitting PT. I have eucon enabled for my dock, btw...
Same Mac, HDX and Eucon here and as it happens I’ve been committing a huge number of VI tracks recently.

Generally it’s been very stable but occasionally I get a similar issue - PT crashes but the files do get rendered. I have Commit set to Hide and Make Inactive the track after rendering and I think it might be when the tracks are actually being made inactive and hidden that the freeze occurs.

It seems to be VIs with separate outputs routed to individual Instrument tracks is also a factor, at least for me , especially with Stylus RMX. If you Commit the track with a VI instantiated, PT asks if you also want to render out the stems and that seems to be a problem, at least partly. If I select all the individual instrument tracks and render them instead, then I’m not seeing the crashes anything like as much.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:55 AM

Hi, Dave! You may be very right about this. I just tried to commit a outboard reverb track for. posterity and it hanged PT as well. There was not a single VI in the session at all. Just like 20 stereo tracks/stems. I choose to make that track inactive after the rendering pass... I have done a bit of rendering with our hiding the source track recently and that has worked well. Perhaps the workaround is to de activate the source track manually after committing?

Phone +46707773443