How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-28-2019, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Ctrl Key Doesn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
Can anyone help me out? I'm still struggling with this. Not having basic copy and paste shortcuts is killing me, never mind switching between mix and edit views!
Unfortunately I suspect we've pretty much run out of ideas.

What did the Windows 10 keyboard viewer show you? Did it recognized all the keys being pressed, and had the same behavior when you used the on-screen keyboard using the mouse to click on the screen buttons?

I've had a high-end mechanical keyboard that had a hairline crack in the PCB. Depending on how you used it, pressed some keys etc. some other keys nearby (or well in a line across the keyboard following the crack direction) to the one pressed would not work. And that's why I wanted you to check all the keypresses are registering with the keyboard viewer while trying the key combinations.

And/or just try another keyboard.

Check you don't have any third party keyboard mapping utilities installed. maybe something was installed with some other software or somebody else (client in the studio?) might have installed something.

If none of that helps then I'd find/make a spare disk partition and do a full clean install of Windows, Pro Tools and ILM and test.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:02 PM

Thanks Darryl. Yes, keyboard works fine. I contacted Avid but they also don't know - looks like I'll be reinstalling the OS this week.

I have to reinstall the OS several times per year for weird problems like this. It takes days to get everything back to normal. I'm under the impression it isn't like that with Mac - do you think it's true?
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 05-31-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:58 PM

Did you try uninstalling the Keyboard device in Device Manager or remove it in Devices and Printers? Right click on the device, then uninstall or remove it. On system restart it will reinstall and reconfigure the keyboard. Maybe worth a shot.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:15 AM

I have the same issue with CTRL + A not working.

Keyboard is fine. VERY frustrating
Old 10-23-2019, 05:22 AM

Whenever I switch from PT to another application and back, some shortcuts (all with ctrl key, like switch edit/mix, split clip etc.) don't work anymore.
Pressing Alt-+ (this is on my German keyboard, the actual shortcut is for "Window | MIDI Event List" which is Alt+= on US/En-Keyboards) twice fixes this :-O.
Weird...
Anyone else has this? Any fixes?

Last edited by RiF; 11-05-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added shortcut for non-German keyboards
Old 10-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Ctrl + = and and shift + scroll wheel shortcuts occasionally stop working for me on PT Ultimate + Win 10. Then I go to the mix view and scroll the wheel, it works fine. Then I go back to edit view and everything works again. Annoying to say the least. Going to try Alt + + twice next time to see if that fixes it faster.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Ctrl + = and and shift + scroll wheel shortcuts occasionally stop working for me on PT Ultimate + Win 10. Then I go to the mix view and scroll the wheel, it works fine. Then I go back to edit view and everything works again. Annoying to say the least. Going to try Alt + + twice next time to see if that fixes it faster.
I just edited my previous post. On non-German keyboards, it's Alt+= (for "MIDI Event List"). Pressing it twice revives my dead shortcuts somehow.

[EDIT: the following is wrong]
My guess is that the fix lies in the fact that a Pro Tools-owned client window (MIDI Event List in this case) opens and closes after PT lost focus of it's main window into another application.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by RiF; 11-07-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:15 AM

Have you tried turning keyboard focus on/off .. ?
Old 11-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
Have you tried turning keyboard focus on/off .. ?
Yes. Does not help.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Whenever I switch from PT to another application and back, some shortcuts (all with ctrl key, like switch edit/mix, split clip etc.) don't work anymore.
Pressing Alt-+ (this is on my German keyboard, the actual shortcut is for "Window | MIDI Event List" which is Alt+= on US/En-Keyboards) twice fixes this :-O.
Weird...
Anyone else has this? Any fixes?
Exactly this. I switched from Mac to PC a few months ago and returned a keyboard, thinking it was faulty. The bug remains.

For some reason Pro Tools doesn't recognize ctrl input which is frustrating like nothing else. After using an alt shortcut, like when switching to slip or grid mode, they work again. Until you switch windows or apps again...

Anyone figure out a proper fix yet? Is there some Windows software running in the background claiming the ctrl key or something?