Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 AM

Default Apple Wireless Keyboard (no numpad) with PT

sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything with a search - is there any way of getting the new Apple keyboards (that have no numpad) to work with ProTools? Maybe there is a way to use the "fn" modifier to simulate the right hand side numpad, to enable FF / REW / Click / Record and all the stuff needed?

thanks!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Apple Wireless Keyboard (no numpad) with PT

If you have an iPhone or iTouch, you could try http://www.edovia.com/numpad/
Or get a wireless numpad. I don't think there is a shortcut or additional key you can press.

Timothy
Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 AM

yes, that would be an option, but I'd rather stay on the main keyboard. There must be a way, for example to map the number keys below the function keys to act as the number keys on the number pad. Maybe with a small hack on Mac OS X system level, via command line?
Then I would use the zoom functions in ProTools, but I do not use these anyways...

edit: Then I would loose the zoom functions in ProTools
Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
. Maybe with a small hack on Mac OS X system level,
Danger, Danger... Will Robinson.....(only old guys will get that)
Why not just spend 20 euros on a usb numeric keypad, as tj suggested? They work flawlessly... but if you figure out the hack, be sure to post back here. sb
Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 AM

Ok, you can make a completely new keyboard layout with a freeware utility called "ukelele", where you can easily swap keys. It works under Snow Leopard with the regular USB Apple keyboard. I'll check later on my ProTools machine if all goes well with the wireless keyboard and PT.

Quote:
Why not just spend 20 euros on a usb numeric keypad
trying to get rid of all the cables, have the keyboard on the console... mouse is bluetooth too!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 AM

OK, Ukelele does not provide the functionality needed, but KeyRemap4MacBook gets the job done. Although I have yet not succeeded in making custom keyboard shortcuts, there is one really handy option available that makes the Apple Wireless Keyboard act like the older Macbooks which use the "fn" key in conjunction with the 7_8_9, u_i_o and j_k_l keys to emulate the numeric keyboard. Although it is not ideal to having to use the "fn" modifier to access commonly used keyboard shortcuts, it does provide a quick fix to be able to work with the new bluetooth keyboard.

This article explains how to set it up:
ressurect_numberpad.html

I do plan to make a custom layout when I find the time, preferrably using the "<<" and ">>" keys above F7 and F9 to be able to rewind and fast forward, use the button in between those two to record and substitute the ?time machine? button above F4 for the click.

Loop Playback, Loop Record and QuickPunch mode can be toggled using shift-apple-L, option-L and shift-option-P so that won't be an issue.