Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2009, 07:52 PM

Default Need PT8 to Quantize audio waveform?

Note: I am still using 7.3

So, PT7 only allows me to quantize Midi? Beat Detective will not work on audio waveforms?
But PT8 will allow me to analyze audio waveforms and then quantize?

I have an audio session (file) that was recorded entirely with a Neumann and the tempo the musicians played is erratic. I analyzed the BPM with another program and it varies between 98BPM and 102BPM. Will PT8 let me change the entire session to an exact 99BPM? I have some tracks I recorded with my Yamaha XS at 99BPM and I have to bring them into the session and make everything line up.
Sorry for the beginner question. I have owned PT for a long time...I really should know.

Last edited by Ormond; 06-26-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: my version number added
Old 06-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Need PT8 to Quantize audio waveform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond View Post

So, PT7 only allows me to quantize Midi? Beat Detective will not work on audio waveforms?
Elastic Audio is your friend from Version 7.4 upwards.

Quote:
Will PT8 let me change the entire session to an exact 99BPM?
Double click the tempo icon (small red triangle) in the tempo ruler to bring up the tempo change meter. You will need Elastic audio to get everything on the grid.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond View Post

I have an audio session (file) that was recorded entirely with a Neumann and the tempo the musicians played is erratic. I analyzed the BPM with another program and it varies between 98BPM and 102BPM. Will PT8 let me change the entire session to an exact 99BPM? I have some tracks I recorded with my Yamaha XS at 99BPM and I have to bring them into the session and make everything line up.
Sorry for the beginner question. I have owned PT for a long time...I really should know.
If you recorded the MIDI from your Yamaha you can use Beat Detective, or Identify Beat, to create a tempo map that the midi will then line up to.. If the tempo variance of the original recording is noticeable and detracts from the song, then you would be better off getting elastic audio to quantize the audio. If the tempo changes aren't a problem (other than for the purposes of editing/overdubbing) then you may want to try the tempo map method..

In other words, what is more important:

Having new material line up with the original recording

or

Matching the original material to the grid to ease any subsequent editing/over dubbing..

Just figured I'd point out the tempo map because you should be able to do that without upgrading ProTools (in case you're not ready for that, yet)
Old 06-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Thanks. I am going to get PT8 but am waiting to do a hardware exchange to the 003. Do not want to have to buy the software twice.