Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-07-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Suggest a preamp I should buy!?

I find myself very often only recording one channel at a time. So I'm thinking of buying an outboard preamp as a copliment to the four preamps in the 002.

I pretty much only record acoustic guitar, vocals and electric bass.

my money limit is $500. Wich preamp would you recomend?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Suggest a preamp I should buy!?

Presonus Eureka would be my choice. $500 is a tough market where most everything is either the big names made overseas stuff, or the little guy's attempts at competing where they really can't. If you could squeeze some more money, the options get incredible at 1000-1500 dollars(Vintech, Grace and Universal Audio come to mind). Anyway, the Eureka has great features and has earned some very good reviews. You don't mention what mics you have so add some more info here. Maybe money spent on a killer mic might be a better investment?

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-07-2006, 09:05 PM

This is a coincidental post as I too am in the market for a preamp to expand onto my 002 rig; I also mainly do acoustics, vocals and bass. I've been doing some research for a couple of weeks and have found some real bang for your buck stuff that has gotten great reviews at Harmony-Central and also by long time users.

ART Tube MP

This is a really cheap one but Future Music mag just rated it as one of the best preamps for a home studio. It has practically no noise floor and a great tube sound.

Studio Projects VTB1

I was skeptical about this one at first because of the price but Harmony-Central and quite a few engineers that I know all recommend this one.

ART TPSII

This one I heard about by just reading positive things about it on recording.org. It seems to be a great preamp and gets a nice tube sound. There's also the next model up which I believe is another hundred, but I don't have the link for it.

M-Audio DMP3

This is the preamp that (at least for right now) I'm going with. After reading quite a bit about it also on recording.org and Harmony-Central this seems to be one fo the best stereo preamps under 500 out there.

These are all well below your budget but hopefully it'll at leats give you a starting point or maybe even save you a few bucks. Hope I helped a little!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 PM

Grace Design 101
Old 01-07-2006, 10:08 PM

They're a more difficult one to find available. But the Summit Audio 2BA-221 is the best mic pre for the money along side the Grace Design 101. It's just a smidge over your budget priced at few music stores at $589.00 for the 2BA-221 and at $565.00 for the Grace Design 101. But let me just say that spending the extra $89 for the Summit is not something you'll regret. The 2BA-221 is class "A" hand wired in Nevada with a 12AX7 tube pre. The Summit is also dual path, running both solid state for clarity and tube for warmth, unlike the Grace. At my store, the Summit and the Grace go head to head all the time with customers and the Summit wins all the time. The Grace Design 101 (which is a damn good pre) gets returned by customers 50% of the time. And the Summit Audio stuff has yet to be returned by a customer. All I get is rave reviews from professionals and hobbiests alike.

If anyone reading this is in, or near Hollywood, click my name and fire me off an e-mail. I'll tell you where I work so you can come test for yourself! I don't want to spam the board or advertise my work on the DUC.

The Grace Design link is on the post before mine. But here's the Summit Audio link for the curious...

Summit Audio 2BA-221

Also, for the curious, you can pair it up wonderfully with Summit Audio's TLA-50, which can be inserted into the 2BA-221's line. It's also sold for $589.00. I've got both, and they're wonderful!
Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 01-07-2006, 11:03 PM

Gotta love the RNP, killer 2 channel pre for the price.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:01 AM

The RNP sounds like an awesome option too! The RNC is an amazing compressor for the money and I've played with it a bit. I haven't played with the RNP yet. But I'm sure based upon my experiences the RNC, it should be kick ass for the money.

And just one final note regarding the Summit, the 2BA-221 is going on the latest upcoming CD from 3D Audio, called Pre-LP (Preamp Listening Party). Most of the pre's featured and tested on this CD start at around a $1000 price point, going up. But the Summit 2BA-221 priced at $589 made the cut for the next CD as a high-end pre. It's quite cool, honestly. I'd say it's the best bang for your buck. And I've sold countless units over UA, Avalon, Grace & Millenia, to pro studios in Hollywood.

But the RNP from FMR Audio would be killer too, most likely. Go try some out. That's the best way to be able to tell what's good for you.
Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 01-08-2006, 05:56 AM

Yes, I too have an 002 and am looking are for better. There aren't any pres that will compliment the 002 pres, because they are trash. I have 4 channels of Valley People pres in a lunch box that I've use for classical music location recording, made in 1989 and they are really transparent and quiet. Bandwidth from 3HZ to 300KHZ. Cost $900 in '89. Just bought a SP VTB-1 for $99 at Musciansfriend and AB'd it with the 002 pres and guess which is better? Studio Projects! Made the 002 pre sound like the ocean was in the backround. Much smoother sounding in the upper range. Dead quiet. I'm now looking at the M-Audio Octane for an add on interface for my 002r, because the 002r has the first 4 inputs tied to those pres, rendering them un-usable IMO. Channels 7and 8 are tied with the Alternate Source input and don't spec out as well as inputs 5 and 6. So I'm thinking Octane, because it's the only unit that has 8 line level inputs that completely bypass the pres. Also has 8 channels of what appears to be DMP pres. which seem to be pretty good.

Check out this thread.

http://studioforums.com/groupee/foru...1/m/9811058711

Brooks
Old 01-10-2006, 06:54 AM

Scratch that last comment about the Octane. I just bought the Focusrite ISA 428 and the converter card. Something inside me wouldn't let me go cheap.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 AM

You'll love it. I've been happy with mine for a year now.

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave