Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Default Advice Buying DAW

I'm buying a new DAW and humbly asking for some advice. I'll mainly be using this setup to record demos, rehearsals and some friend's bands. I can't see myself ever recording more than 8 tracks simultaneously (I think). Mixing will be more demanding, I assume, with all those tracks being played at once, loaded with plug-ins and whatever else. I'm aware of the external processors that take some of the plug load, but I think they're pretty pricey.

I got $3000 to spend. I figure that I'll get one of the new MacBook Pros. It comes with a 2.6Ghz Dual-core Intel Core i5 processor and 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM. For the stuff I'll be using this for, is it worth the $200 to upgrade to 16GB RAM or $300 to upgrade the 2.6Ghz Dual-core Intel Core i5 to a 3Ghz Dual-core Intel Core i7? I'm guessing that what comes stock is more than enough. What type of audio processing would need such extra power?

Without any of those upgrades I'm looking at about $1500 just for the computer. Any recommendations on an interface or other equipment? Since I'll mostly be recording on my own, I don't necessarily need something w/ 8 inputs. I'd rather get something quality. I could always rent a larger I/O if needed. I assume that I have to go with PT 11 for software since all the Macs come loaded with OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
My current setup is OS X 10.6, PT 8 LE, MBox 2. I think all that will be useful in that is the discount from the LE to 11 cross-over installer.

Thanks,
-Adam
Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Advice Buying DAW

There have been problems reported when using I5 processors with Pro Tools.

"I can't see myself ever recording more than 8 tracks simultaneously (I think)."

Statements like that are kinda dangerous It is axiomatic that you will always need one more of whatever it is, from hamburgers to recording tracks.

For what you are describing, 8 tracks will probably be okay, but if you want to record a full band with mic'ed drums, you can chew up 8 tracks on just the drum kit...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
There have been problems reported when using I5 processors with Pro Tools.
Can you expand on this or refer me to a link? Since all the new MacBooks use i5's this is a big problem. Is it the same for the i7 too? As well as the rest of this family of processors?

Quote:
"I can't see myself ever recording more than 8 tracks simultaneously (I think)."

Statements like that are kinda dangerous It is axiomatic that you will always need one more of whatever it is, from hamburgers to recording tracks.

For what you are describing, 8 tracks will probably be okay, but if you want to record a full band with mic'ed drums, you can chew up 8 tracks on just the drum kit...
This makes total sense, but I only own 4 mics and have a very small collection of equipment. Like I was saying, if I was gonna take on a big project that goes beyond recording by myself, or at practice where we throw a mic in the middle of the room, it won't be an issue.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Can you expand on this or refer me to a link? Since all the new MacBooks use i5's this is a big problem. Is it the same for the i7 too? As well as the rest of this family of processors?

https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/notebooks.html

All new Macbooks use i7 as far as I can see on this page and the option to choose i5. you can search the forum here and see most of the i5 models have problems with CPU issues. You need to folw the recommended specs and that clearly shows i7 Cpu And 8 GB Minimum 16 prefered.

I would never recommend anyone buying a new computer with i5 processor as it will be problems since you say you will have lots of tracks and plugins. Never get the lowest specs or what you think is enough as it never is. Been there done that

I would say get the i7 with 16 GB ram as you are stuck with the amount of RAM you get when you buy and you also need a fast external hard drive. SSD in a Thunderbolt chassie or a 7200rpm atleast in a USB3 or Thunderbolt chassie so thats another 300-500 dollars you need to add to the purchase of the MBP.
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Stay away from i5 and take a look at CPU upgrades for any model you are considering. Any i7 will be just fine, but if you can grab a model with quad-core, the better.

Oh, and 8GB memory MINIMUM. If you can afford 16GB that's worth it (IMO).
Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
you also need a fast external hard drive. SSD in a Thunderbolt chassie or a 7200rpm atleast in a USB3 or Thunderbolt chassie so thats another 300-500 dollars you need to add to the purchase
+million.

Except; if you can afford Retina MBP with PCIe based Flash then you won't be needing external dedicated audio drive. I have had two such models and have never used external drives for anything except backup.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/notebooks.html

All new Macbooks use i7 as far as I can see on this page and the option to choose i5. you can search the forum here and see most of the i5 models have problems with CPU issues. You need to folw the recommended specs and that clearly shows i7 Cpu And 8 GB Minimum 16 prefered.

I would never recommend anyone buying a new computer with i5 processor as it will be problems since you say you will have lots of tracks and plugins. Never get the lowest specs or what you think is enough as it never is. Been there done that

I would say get the i7 with 16 GB ram as you are stuck with the amount of RAM you get when you buy and you also need a fast external hard drive. SSD in a Thunderbolt chassie or a 7200rpm atleast in a USB3 or Thunderbolt chassie so thats another 300-500 dollars you need to add to the purchase of the MBP.
Christopher
Notice how it says "Up to...Intel Core i7 processor." If you scroll down to "Configure Your Mac" there's a "Build Your Own" link. You'll notice that all the laptops are listed with the i5 processors. If you click the blue "Select" button it allows you to configure the laptop further. That's were you find the Processor options, with the i7 available for an additional $300.

Apple is such a scam. Everything is conveniently "built-in" to the machine, making it impossible for future upgrades.

Does anyone know if Windows machines are cheaper and if they pull this non-upgradable crap? How does PT perform on Windows compared to Mac?

Thanks,
-Adam
Old 11-08-2014, 10:02 AM

"starting from" = "need to be able to show low price here"

"up to" = "if you need better, pay more"

That's just how it is. Can't have it all for nothing...
Old 11-08-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if Windows machines are cheaper
Yes they can be, but with 100% identical hardware configuration they aren't.

Quote:
How does PT perform on Windows compared to Mac?
With 100% identical hardware, Mac performs better.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
"starting from" = "need to be able to show low price here"

"up to" = "if you need better, pay more"

That's just how it is. Can't have it all for nothing...
Yes. I understand the philosophy behind catching people's eye w/ creative wording. The gentleman who posted before me mistakenly took that wording to mean that all the laptops came with i7 processors.