Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-19-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: NY/Parallel Compression - Questions

When blending original drum tracks with a stereo aux with a compressed signal, has anyone found that it messes up the stereo spectrum? For instance, I've found that when I use this technique, that the toms sound weird when I do this... a tom hit from the original track sounds like it's coming from somewhere else in the stereo spectrum than the same compressed tom hit in the stereo bus. The don't line up and the mix loses its tightness. Has anyone else ever experienced this when using this technique?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:31 PM

that probably has to do with phase between the toms and overhead mics. try adusting the panning or fliping the phase of the toms to see if there is any improvment.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 PM

Quote:
#2 The general rule of thumb is:

You send to time based fx since you usually want to be able to blend the dry\wet signals together (reverb, delays)

You insert dynamics fx since you usually want to completely replace the original sound with the effected one (eq, compression)

You can send to some dynamics fx if you wish to process all the sounds in the same way, which also cuts down on the amount of plugins you have to use (such is the case with NY Compression 1 compressor for multiple tracks).

You can also insert time based fx if you wish for a 100% wet sound
Makes sense. I think I've been doing this subconsiously.

Quote:
I would use inserts for hi/lo pass filters instead of buses
More times than not, I do, but ocassionally, I'll want to run several instruments through a hi pass filter to reserve all of the bottom for bass, kick and anything else I might have down there.

Quote:
Also if you set the output of a track(s) to Bus 1-2 (or any bus for that matter) it's still taking up those buses. So unfortunately that's not going to free any up for you.
But I've been using 4 buses for 2 stereo aux tracks, and sending the drums to them. So I will have 2 more than normal. I would never have thought to use the same 2 buses for both the compressed and uncompressed auxes. This thread has been very informative.