Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2003, 07:33 PM

Default new RTAS plugs

Anyone tried these yet? I wonder how they compare to the likes of BF and McDsp...

www.nomadfafctory.com
$299 for the whole bundle, nice.

also:

http://www.wavemechanics.com/cgi-loc...htm?L+scstore+

I'm glad to see more companies offering high quality processing without having to break the bank, but we're about to be inundated with new RTAS products, which could make things even more confusing, making the competition fiercer than ever.

Sure, in the end it's a question of just buying the ones you like and not stress about what else is available, after all, how many EQ's and compressors do we want to see in that RTAS drop-down menu? I'm all for more development, don't get me wrong, I just think that, like many, I want to buy the ones that offer the best value, which is subjective. Some people like Waves over McDSP, and vice-versa.

What are yout thoughts on this?
Old 01-28-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Re: new RTAS plugs

Hey, thanks a lot for the tip, pk_hat! Your suggestion just saved me a lot of deciding to do. Those Blue Tube plugs are exactly what I was looking for in a RTAS bundle, and the price is great. That along with the Antares Tube and I'm all set! I'm gonna buy them as soon as the OS X version of the bundle comes out.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:46 PM

I just played with the demo of the Blue Tube bundle on some tracks and it's quite good for its price. I like its sound and especially liked the overdrive module! It's not a CPU hog like the Sans Amp. With the Sans Amp demo I would get immediately to 50% or 60% percent of CPU usage... with the Blue Tube overdrive it goes between 20% and 30% on my iBook... not bad at all. The same goes for the Delay/Echo module.
The rest of the modules wouldn't even get to 10% or 15%... it's a winner bundle.
I also tried, but just for a few minutes, the Antares Tube plugin on a snare track... I liked it better than DaD Valve.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:16 PM

JG,

thanks for posting such a quick review on the Blue stuff, a good head-start reference.
I, for one, have never tried the McDSP stuff, though I keep hearing how good they are. In a similar vein, this Blue Bundle looks to be it's closest competitor, and maybe even to BF (there's even a bit of a Pultec and LA-2A resemblance goin' on there, Blue style).

That's what I'm referring to in my post above, look at how many tube/overdrive and channel strip simulations we have at our disposal now. Between the SansAmp, DUY stuff, Amplitude, McDsp AC, T-Racks, now this Blue bundle and soon the Sound Toys bundle.....
By the looks of it, it's not about to end either, which gives the consumer even more decision headaches, though I'd hate to be a plugin developer in the race right now!
Whewww.......may the best plug win! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

cheers!
Old 01-29-2003, 03:10 AM

I tried out the demo's of Blue Tubes too -looks and sounds good, but in my G4 450, OS 9.2, and 002 system they seemed to really eat-uo processor power- with just the Comp and the "Oilcan"DDL, plus Waves L1, plus Ren Verb,(on an aux) only about 3 or 4 tracks everything went really slow....substituted Waves Ren Comp, and Waves DDL, and everything was fine.
Have contacted Nomad over this but so far no reply.
Anyone else found this...was hoping to use this bundle instead of Bombfactory, (no CPU problems with MoogerFooger plugs), but not sure now.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 01-29-2003, 06:52 AM

Okay. I'm a dork. I can't find the download for the demo of the Blue Tubes plugins. Any help?
Old 01-29-2003, 06:55 AM

Um. Never mind. I found it. It was hidden:

http://www.nomadfactory.com/support/index.html

Ted.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:32 AM

Too bad the phaser, flanger and delay are only mono/mono.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:44 AM

Well, just got today my international credit card. I'm ready, baby!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]