Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2024, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Anyone good fixing Pops and Clicks - (I'm not a beginner user)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Again, likely driver issue as 3rd parties do not check Avid stuff. Keep rolling back to a version that works for you.

PT does not use HD driver, the card driver is natively built into PT instead. You only need HD driver with 3rd party DAWs.
I only have access to the current driver on my Avid Products page and the HD Driver knowledgebase page only has a legacy driver for PT 11 on Windows 7. There's like a 4 year gap of drivers. How can I rollback to a driver from say a year ago or so? They're making this quite hard on me.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:04 AM

Avid Download Center. The driver is included in every release.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:32 AM

I still suspect a clocking problem, or maybe hardware. If the clicks and pops are not too plentiful, you can try drawing them out(zoom in until the waveform becomes a line and use the pencil tool to redraw the wave at the pop). Given that you are not able to get a clean digitest, that makes me suspect its hardware related. I ran HD/Native(PCIe) for several years on multiple PC's and never had this issue

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-24-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I still suspect a clocking problem, or maybe hardware. If the clicks and pops are not too plentiful, you can try drawing them out(zoom in until the waveform becomes a line and use the pencil tool to redraw the wave at the pop). Given that you are not able to get a clean digitest, that makes me suspect its hardware related. I ran HD/Native(PCIe) for several years on multiple PC's and never had this issue
Thanks Dave and JFreak.

I think I figured it out today. It’s a new issue surprisingly.

I used the program LatencyMon to watch my computer work and it would spike when the pops would happen. Some more digging found that it’s the Parked cpu cores that cause those big spikes. Using a program called ParkControl I was able to stop the cpu from Parking (resting/turning off) cores and now the spikes are gone. It’s a power conservation setting that isn’t editable in the usual power settings that we all leave on High Performance.

That fixed it. And there’s a deeper rabbit hole to get even better performance by assigning certain hardware hubs or drivers to certain cores so you can make sure no one core maxes out and creates more latency. It’s great.

Thanks for all the help both of you. I appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Avid Download Center. The driver is included in every release.
Just posted the solution above. It’s a wild one!!