Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2024, 09:36 AM

Default Runnind PT 10 and 003 Factory with NEW 2024 Mac

I've seen some posts/videos with some "how to" guides on making this actually run. I'd really appreciate some professional advice on this. I really don't want to have to re-buy all of the RTAS plug-ins and i don't want to scrap my 003- it's an awesome piece of gear. BUT - i do want to use a faster mac with a lot more RAM.
Any insights on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2024, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Runnind PT 10 and 003 Factory with NEW 2024 Mac

This is ONLY my 2 cents worth….I don’t see much point in a new ultra deluxe MAC, and trying to run software and hardware on it that’s over 20 years old. Not 100% sure if this is the case on MACs, but I do know that 32-bit software like PT10 on Windoze has a memory recognition limit, and all the extra RAM just got ignored. If you buy a new MAC I’ll venture a guess it’ll come with Sonoma, and it seems like a real crapshoot getting PT 10 to run on it.
I’d say if you’re gonna upgrade, don’t do it halfway. Depending on your specific needs, you could likely get great results with PT Studio, and there’s a TON of really good stock plugins (AAX of course) included. As far as current MAC drivers for an 003, not aware of any, but I could have missed something.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSWILL View Post
I've seen some posts/videos with some "how to" guides on making this actually run. I'd really appreciate some professional advice on this. I really don't want to have to re-buy all of the RTAS plug-ins and i don't want to scrap my 003- it's an awesome piece of gear. BUT - i do want to use a faster mac with a lot more RAM.
Any insights on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Please provide links to this *magical* information you have seen. I would be fascinated to know how anybody has got a 003 running on any Apple Silicon Mac when there are no Apple Silicon device drivers for the 003.

Getting a 003 running on a later macOS version of an Intel based Mac is irrelevant.

Rosetta is irrelevant, does not apply to device drivers/kexts that need to be ported to Apple Silicon, or even better completely rewritten as Audio Driver Kit/user space drivers. And none of that has or will happen for the 003.

And no version of Pro Tools that supports RTAS will likely run on any Apple Silicon Mac even under Rosetta. Even if you did get that running Pro Tools 10 etc. has significant limitations, especially memory address space. Time to give up and move forward.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:12 PM

And... it's great you are asking before buying a new Apple Silicon Mac.

When you do move up to one be aware that it is not AAX plugins you need but you ideally want Apple Silicon ports of AAX plugins so you don't need to Pro Tools under Rosetta. Most plugin vendors have ported their AAX plugins to Apple Silicon. There is a monster thread on DUC that contains lots of info about Apple Silicon AAX plugins: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415770

You can also get a free one month trial of Pro Tools Ultimate and use that to test stuff including third party plugins before you buy. All versions of Pro Tools are the same core software install, only the iLok license is different.

You can also get Pro Tools Intro for free, and maybe even that is all you need.

And think about what flavor of Pro Tools you need, https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison. And I personally would buy a perpetual license (available from authorized resellers) not a subscription. But be aware that things like the Avid Complete plugin bundle and other non-core/non-Intro plugin list plugins that come with a perpetual version of Pro Tools are themselves subscriptions and expire when the Update/Support plan expires (but you can renew that plan or let it lapse and renew any time in the future).

Intro can be handy for longer than one month testing even if you upgrade in future. But be aware of the track count etc. limitations in Intro/Artist especially and if you open existing sessions with them and ignore warnings about exceeding track limits it will delete tracks etc. -- an incredibly bad product decisions by Avid (only test with copies of existing larger sessions).

You'll need to replace the 003 both as a interface and control surface. There are a lot of great interfaces from third party vendors like RME, UAD, Motu, Focusrite, Presonus, etc. there is no need to purchase an Avid interface, and frankly I think there are much better options out there than the current Mbox Studio. If you say what connectivity and features you need on an interface and your budget then folks here can give recommendations. The EUCON based S1, Dock, and iPad/Android Tablet Control app are highly capable, more powerful than the 003 or you can use lower cost and less capable HUI control surfaces.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
... are themselves subscriptions and expire when ...
Yes! Which plugs are those? I'm planning to re-up my Pro Tools studio perpetual to 2024.3(? or whatever the next release is called ?). During install, will I be able to skip installing these temporary/subscription plugs? Or uninstall them later?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-06-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Yes! Which plugs are those? I'm planning to re-up my Pro Tools studio perpetual to 2024.3(? or whatever the next release is called ?). During install, will I be able to skip installing these temporary/subscription plugs? Or uninstall them later?
They are all separate installers from Pro Tools itself and you can do whatever you want.

If only somebody had made a spreadsheet that showed everything you likely need to know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=672040380
Old 01-06-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
They are all separate installers from Pro Tools itself and you can do whatever you want.

If only somebody had made a spreadsheet that showed everything you likely need to know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=672040380
cool thanks!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-06-2024, 01:39 PM

Please let me know what is not clear in that spreadsheet, I need to clean it up a bit.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:29 AM

Well as someone said, i'll probably go "half-way" and find an older- yet newer mac with a little more ram, faster chip set, etc but will still run my stuff. I am not ready to throw in the towel on this gear- I know how to use it and have a LOT of plug-ins and virtual instruments that I really don't want to replace.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:02 PM

Fair enough, whatever works for you is what you should do. But, please, do your research BEFORE you buy a “newer faster” computer and make sure it’s compatible with what you have. https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...ols&popup=true
These are the LAST operating systems that are qualified for PT10:

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.7 - 10.6.8)
OS X Lion (10.7 - 10.7.5)
OS X Mountain Lion (10.8, 10.8.2-10.8.5)

And bear in mind, older software/hardware probably won’t take advantage of “newer faster computers.” Plus, PT 10 being a 32-bit program, any extra ram is just going to get ignored. From what I’ve been able to research, 8gb is the RAM limit on an older OS that’ll still support very outdated software.

FWIW, I started with PT on version 5, and other than subtle differences, the UI layout is the same now as it was then, so there really hasn’t been much to re-learn.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Last edited by sw rec; 01-08-2024 at 04:07 PM.