Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Default 003 only good for Pro Tools?

I've tried using my 003 Rack with Cubase and as my system audio device, but it causes major problems.

When I quit the Cubase session, the FW drive (that the 003 has to be chained to because there is only one FW port on MBP) disconnects with a device removal warning.

The 003 shows up as a device that I can use for sound in my MBP OSX System Preferences. However, when the MBP goes to sleep it wakes up to an unexpected error that Digi CoreAudio Manager has quit unexpectedly. That totally messes up the audio in the MBP and I can't get any audio devices to work until I restart.

I would really like to use the 003 for all audio, so I can listen through the monitors instead of the MBP speakers. I've been using the headphone out into the 003 aux input, but it's noisy, adds more cables and just seems like an unnecessary workaround. Also, when USB cables are plugged/unplugged from the MBP, there is noise and popping from the headphone out. It seems like something is sketchy with the grounding around the ports on the MBP.

Is all this normal - something I have to accept?

003 should not be used for anything besides Pro Tools?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Unhappy Re: 003 only good for Pro Tools?

The 003 family really is crippled when it comes to sharing audio distribution. This functionality comes without question with virtually every other I/O device for the last 15 years or so.

One can only conclude that Digidesign excluded this function deliberately like most of it's other feature packaging and bundling.

The 003 has "single client" architecture which basically means no software or firmware is ever going to change this.

A possible workaround might be using a USB audio interface for the system output and route it to the spdif or Aux input of the 003?? DOn't know if it's possible or worth it, but the USB buss seems to be the only thing not part of the fascist Digidesign stranglehold.

Put up with the hiss perhaps?
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Default Re: 003 only good for Pro Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
I've tried using my 003 Rack with Cubase and as my system audio device, but it causes major problems.

When I quit the Cubase session, the FW drive (that the 003 has to be chained to because there is only one FW port on MBP) disconnects with a device removal warning.

The 003 shows up as a device that I can use for sound in my MBP OSX System Preferences. However, when the MBP goes to sleep it wakes up to an unexpected error that Digi CoreAudio Manager has quit unexpectedly. That totally messes up the audio in the MBP and I can't get any audio devices to work until I restart.

I would really like to use the 003 for all audio, so I can listen through the monitors instead of the MBP speakers. I've been using the headphone out into the 003 aux input, but it's noisy, adds more cables and just seems like an unnecessary workaround. Also, when USB cables are plugged/unplugged from the MBP, there is noise and popping from the headphone out. It seems like something is sketchy with the grounding around the ports on the MBP.

Is all this normal - something I have to accept?

003 should not be used for anything besides Pro Tools?
Pretty much.

It's not to say you CAN'T use it for other DAWs/software... but it seems there are more problems than benefits. Personally, I've had mostly success running Logic, Reason and even the host audio through my 003R. Others haven't been so lucky. I also don't use those apps on a regular basis, so 90% of the time... my 003 runs Pro Tools.

As far as the audio from the MBP headphone jack... I've only ever had problems. Sounds like crap, and I get a LOT of noise coming through, especially if I have the power supply plugged in. Weird digital noises that don't make any sense at all. Like, a weird fuzz that happens when switching between spaces... hard drive noises... all sorts of oddities. I avoid it like the plague, whenever possible... so if I need to use the audio from my laptop, I do push it through the 003.

However, my chain is... I guess what some would say, unconventional. The "Digi" way to chain is Mac > HD > 003. But in my experience, I have had similar issues (unwarranted device removal, communication errors, etc) when chained in that manner. One day, I could barely get a session to play all the way through without PT crashing completely... with a client in the room. I messed around with so many settings, until I finally decided to switch the chain around. So Mac > 003 > HD. Bam. No more errors. Go figure.

Hope that helps.

btw... Sleep mode is unsupported for all Digi peripherals. Meaning, if your Mac goes to sleep while CoreAudio or PT are running, expect a crash.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 PM

Thank you both very much.

It's nice to not feel alone, but sad that these issues exist.

The digital sounding noise through the MBP headphone is probably exactly what I'm hearing. I guess I'll just deal with it.

I just tried an optical cable from MBP to 003, but cant hear any audio. I guess the optical input on 003 is only accessible in PT?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
Thank you both very much.

It's nice to not feel alone, but sad that these issues exist.

The digital sounding noise through the MBP headphone is probably exactly what I'm hearing. I guess I'll just deal with it.

I just tried an optical cable from MBP to 003, but cant hear any audio. I guess the optical input on 003 is only accessible in PT?
Not only that... but it's a different kind of optical, so even through PT you wouldn't get anything.

Have you tried switching the chain? It really made a huge difference for me.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Have you tried switching the chain? It really made a huge difference for me.
Not yet, that's a little more cable changing than I want to do tonight, but I will definitely try it. I don't like all the device removal warnings I get.