Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2024, 10:38 AM

Default SPDIF to SMPTE conversion

hey there, I have searched around past posts, and I did find a few conversations about clock conversion both on the internet and here, but I did not come away with a full understanding of the subject.

My project setup to record tracks on Pro Tools includes a Scarlett i8120, a Motu XT Express, an Alesis SR18 and a Boss RC-505 mk2. The live end of this is managed by the Scarlett and I have added the Motu to manage and route the Midi signal, I have two keyboards and I have figures out how to use them independent of each other.

Syncing everything up has been a challenge. The Boss RC-505 has always been a wana be master. The SR18 can be slaved thru the RC-505 and seems to keep time fairly well. I do have to relay this sync through the Motu and somehow sync the live tracks to the samples.

The Motu has SMPTE ins and outs, the Scarlett has SPDIF ins and outs connections. I have read where these two do not talk with each other. I have connected the Motu to the Scarlett using these inputs, but I am not sure that there is any recognition. I have read where a converter might help them to talk to each other, has anyone had any experience with this?
Old 02-10-2024, 11:56 AM

Default Re: SPDIF to SMPTE conversion

Welcome to the forum.

I think you may be misunderstanding the features of the 18i20 SPDIF and the Motu SMPTE synchronizer capabilities.

The 18i20 has no way of synchronizing with SMPTE or MTC through SPDIF. The SPDIF IO is strictly for digital audio. MTC can be translated through a network or midi cables or serial cables.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:06 PM

Default Re: SPDIF to SMPTE conversion

Thank you for clarifying this. The Scarlett is interfacing with my computer and so is the Motu thru USB, based on the inputs available in a pro tools session but only the Motu can send and or receive MTC from the other devices. The SPDIF is just another way to process audio to and from another like device. Thanks