Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2023, 03:30 PM

Default Re: MacOS Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_NOOB_CH View Post
For me, PT is rapidly becoming untenable as a professional tool and, for software that is perpetually unusable, far too expensive. I have been using various DAWs for over 20 years, and I have NEVER encountered a product which is not only overpriced, but a perpetual construction site. I realise that complex configurations and ever shorter OS development cycles brings challenges, but I am not bound to the standards of large companies doing music, film etc. so I think the moment is rapidly approaching to leave the Avid ecosystem. We have invested a very serious amount of money in Avid products, which perform at a very high level when they actually work. But the downtime has reached critical mass, and we do not feel that Avid is capable of supporting us reliably. We have already begun the migration to other DAWS but this will probably take some time. I am extremely dissapointed that the problems with PT have essentially never stopped, and that Avid still somehow feels it is ok to charge substantial amounts of money for services and products that are not adequate for our needs.

I think there are a few threads you missed posting this on

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 11-26-2023, 11:53 AM

Interesting thread. For the record, I am a professional software dev and have been building for the MacOS platform, among others, for a very long time. I am not paid by Apple or Avid.

Apple, like many of its developers including Avid, is a good company with a long history of solid engineering. In MacOS Sonoma, Apple has deprecated its long-lived "plugin" model and replaced it with a new "extension" model. The benefit is the "extension" model improves OS security and stability. The downside is the new model has introduced a few faults and some are found only "in the wild". This is not unusual with new software integration models.

Several developers, some quite well known, are working with Apple to resolve the problems. The ball is squarely in Apple's court as of today. I am confident that Apple will attend to these promptly and Avid, like others, will move quickly once the issues are resolved.

I hope the resolution arrives soon.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:21 PM

Well, I just read this whole thread and it convinced me to not get a new Mac Studio. I'm going to stay on my Mac Pro Trashcan running Catalina and PT2022.4. Seems crazy, but if it ain't broke... ???

Or am I being crazy?
Old 11-27-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrosoft View Post
Well, I just read this whole thread and it convinced me to not get a new Mac Studio. I'm going to stay on my Mac Pro Trashcan running Catalina and PT2022.4. Seems crazy, but if it ain't broke... ???

Or am I being crazy?
You're being crazy.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Or am I being crazy?
Certifiably crazy.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Or am I being crazy?
Yeah, I agree, sort of. Catalina? I understand your caution. As you say, if it aint broke... but I would vote to upgrade... if you can and are really ready.

A buddy of mine just bought a Mac Studio M2 Max. It is a very nice bit of kit. He is staying on Ventura (MacOS 13.x) for a while; a couple of third party PT plugins are not ready for Sonoma (MacOS 14). He is new to mac, coming from Windows, so a bit of learning and tinkering is involved. Still, the performance is very nice.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:45 AM

Hi all,

PT + Sonoma running here: 14.1.1.

Has anyone else experienced CPU/fans going crazy when you either instantiate a send or a plugin, open/close a folder, add tracks or change any routing? I'm wondering if this is in fact graphics related.

This seems to be happening to me on multiple projects. If it's a big one I can't do any of those things while listening or it'll stop playback. The fans go nuts and take a good few seconds to calm down again, at which point you can safely press play. Opening the CPU meter shows some crazy results.

I'm on an intel hackintosh with an RX580 graphics card so I'm not sure if it's OS related, PT related or just part of my hacked setup. However, it wasn't happening on Ventura.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:14 AM
Avid

For starters,

Best to check if you're running on a supported system which can be checked at https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...tibility-Chart
and at
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Now, I've mentioned this before but happy to be posting this here again...

"Will Avid ever be ready for an OS update on release?"
Absolutely not. That would indicate we no longer care about our customer base. If we made apps for hobbyists, sure... but people's livelihoods rely on our products, working as best as we can make it, so wherever possible, we run exhaustive testing.
We do rigorous testing AFTER an OS gets released to the public... because no matter how many pre-release versions Apple sends its developers, there are always changes that happen between pre-release and "gold" releases. There have been plenty of times in history where companies like Avid have gotten burned by qualifying too early.
I can name several times where we were about to qualify a version and in the 11th hour one of the quality assurance testers found a glitch that required some change to the code.
Also, Apple makes too many changes to the OS for us to safely qualify existing versions of our products to run on a brand new dot-zero of a macOS. So, always always always expect a new version to come out which is qualified.

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 11-29-2023, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
For starters,

Best to check if you're running on a supported system which can be checked at https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...tibility-Chart
and at
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Now, I've mentioned this before but happy to be posting this here again...

"Will Avid ever be ready for an OS update on release?"
Absolutely not. That would indicate we no longer care about our customer base. If we made apps for hobbyists, sure... but people's livelihoods rely on our products, working as best as we can make it, so wherever possible, we run exhaustive testing.
We do rigorous testing AFTER an OS gets released to the public... because no matter how many pre-release versions Apple sends its developers, there are always changes that happen between pre-release and "gold" releases. There have been plenty of times in history where companies like Avid have gotten burned by qualifying too early.
I can name several times where we were about to qualify a version and in the 11th hour one of the quality assurance testers found a glitch that required some change to the code.
Also, Apple makes too many changes to the OS for us to safely qualify existing versions of our products to run on a brand new dot-zero of a macOS. So, always always always expect a new version to come out which is qualified.
Okay.... I/we know it's not supported yet, hence why I'm posting on this thread here about people who've installed it anyway and are sharing their experiences. For all I know, someone had the same issue as me and found a way around it.

Second of all, many software developers have their products ready by or soon after a new OS release without getting burned. No one is suggesting that you release unstable versions (as far as I can see), so I don't get how it indicates a lack of care for your customer base to get compatible with latest OS as quickly as you can (again always maintaining stability).

Can't you use pre-release OS versions to get things 80% of the way there and be ready to release an updated version a month or two after the OS update, give or take? Also, couldn't you dedicate more resources to development when you know a major OS update is imminent to make sure things happen more quickly?

Personally I think if your pricing is on a subscription model you need to update as quickly as humanly possible, while maintaining stability, otherwise we're paying half the time for something that's not up to date.

I do however sympathise with you about apples rapid changes they've been making, but again you have to have been hiding under a rock to not have been able to see this turbulent time coming with macOS as apple transitions away from intel and makes fundamental changes to it's operating system in the process.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:33 AM

Avid currently aims for quarterly releases, so wild guess would be 2023.12 before newyear's.