Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2023, 02:26 AM

Default MIDI Window Controller Lanes Resetting

Why does my Instrument MIDI Window not remember when I add a new controller lane? I can add one or more lanes once the MIDI window is open yet when I close and reopen they are gone. Thanks! (driving me mad).
Old 09-28-2023, 07:07 AM

Default Instrument MIDI Window Controller Lanes

Why does my Instrument MIDI Window not remember when I add a new controller lane? I can add one or more lanes once the MIDI window is open yet when I close and reopen they are gone. Thanks! (driving me mad).
Old 09-28-2023, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Instrument MIDI Window Controller Lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmackdaddy View Post
You've asked this question twice in the same forum a few hours apart.

In my experience, the lanes in the MIDI Editor window aren't Track-based, they show whatever you last displayed in the MIDI Editor window. It may not always be the case, but that is what I usually experience.

If you work strictly from a Template, you can create Window Configurations as part of the Template session that can be triggered by memory locations and can only affect the MIDI Edit Window, and the lanes selected to be shown in it. (You might be able to do it in non-template sessions, but I haven't gotten around to how to make a Window Config universal). I've attached some screenshot examples of how I've done it. It saves my sanity.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 10.11.09 AM.png (97.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 10.11.47 AM.jpg (35.1 KB, 0 views)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 09-28-2023, 11:00 AM

Hey Kerry - thanks for messaging. Yeah, I wasn't getting any joy in this forum and I reposted thinking I was in the more general "Pro Tools" forum but I ended up posting it again in this one... (and couldn't delete it)

Yes, my MIDI window by and large behaves itself very well and any changes are universal across all MIDI tracks, however it is the MIDI window within the instrument tracks that is causing me the issue. I do regularly use templates although Window Configs aren't my speciality and I toyed with them earlier but I will take your advice and try and make it work within my current template.

Thanks

John
Old 09-28-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmackdaddy View Post
Hey Kerry - thanks for messaging. Yeah, I wasn't getting any joy in this forum and I reposted thinking I was in the more general "Pro Tools" forum but I ended up posting it again in this one... (and couldn't delete it)

Yes, my MIDI window by and large behaves itself very well and any changes are universal across all MIDI tracks, however it is the MIDI window within the instrument tracks that is causing me the issue. I do regularly use templates although Window Configs aren't my speciality and I toyed with them earlier but I will take your advice and try and make it work within my current template.

Thanks

John
Ok. Still trying to parse what you're saying. Do you mean that in the main Edit window, when you show the Controller Lanes (as shown attached) for the Instrument Tracks, you're having this problem?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 4.41.30 PM.png (68.8 KB, 0 views)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 09-28-2023, 11:37 PM

It's when I open/double click or ctrl+= on a midi clip in an Instrument track.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:15 PM

Ok, here we go, nice and simple. I want to double click on the midi clip on my Instrument track, have it open, and then add a controller lane by clicking the plus sign on one of the other lanes. I want to choose "Audio Vol". Then I want to make changes in the Audio Volume lane and close the midi window on the Instrument track. Then when I open it again I want the "Audio Vol" to be there again. Every time. And not have to repeat the procedure. Every. Single. Time. (I'm sorry it's doing my ****ing head in)