Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Sound is left heavy

Hi all,

Whenever I import a track into Pro Tools it plays back left heavy, for eg. the left monitor is louder than the right monitor. Checked my settings on the monitors, bounced to disk, sent the files to my band mates and they hear the same thing. I'm guessing it's the stereo pan law but I can't seem to find the settings anywhere.

A push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :)

TIA!
MBox 3 | PT LE 8.0.4 | Toolkit 2 | AMD Phenom™ II X4 3.2 Ghz with Arctic Ice | Seagate 500 gig (OS) and 1.5 Tb (Audio) HDs, 32 mb cache each | Gigabyte MOBO | Windows 7 64 Pro | 4 gigs Kingston DDR2 1200 Hyperextension Ram | 750 watt power supply | Antec Sonota 111 case | Dual 24" monitors |ATI Radeon Graphics card | Korg Triton Extreme | Korg M3 | Guitars
Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Sound is left heavy

To clarify;

Is the mix on the whole louder on the left, or just imported audio tracks?

If it's just the imported audio, you may need to verify whether or not they were originally bounced down panned harder to the left.

Does the channel strip meter show a higher level on left channel?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-24-2011, 03:34 AM

It shouldn't be a pan law issue, and I'd expect the problem to be on the analog side of things to be honest.
(Unless you've set up a session template that has some incorrect panning going on?)
I have also seen a setup that always pulled to one side, but the problem ended up being a time delay on one side of the stereo which caused a percieved image shift.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
To clarify;

Is the mix on the whole louder on the left, or just imported audio tracks?

If it's just the imported audio, you may need to verify whether or not they were originally bounced down panned harder to the left.

Does the channel strip meter show a higher level on left channel?
Thanks for the reply Zed !

When I put the tracks through Cubase everything is panned accordingly. Don't think it's the files I was sent. With that said this only happens with stereo tracks. The Mono tracks from our guitarist and my keyboards sit dead center in PT.

Also yes, the stereo track meters are pretty level. I'm aware that PT prior version 9, the defualt stereo pan law is -2.5db. I'm pretty sure that is the culprit (would like to drop it to -3 or -4.5db) but can't seem to find the settings for it anywhere .....

Always my best
Gabriel
MBox 3 | PT LE 8.0.4 | Toolkit 2 | AMD Phenom™ II X4 3.2 Ghz with Arctic Ice | Seagate 500 gig (OS) and 1.5 Tb (Audio) HDs, 32 mb cache each | Gigabyte MOBO | Windows 7 64 Pro | 4 gigs Kingston DDR2 1200 Hyperextension Ram | 750 watt power supply | Antec Sonota 111 case | Dual 24" monitors |ATI Radeon Graphics card | Korg Triton Extreme | Korg M3 | Guitars
Old 07-24-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
It shouldn't be a pan law issue, and I'd expect the problem to be on the analog side of things to be honest.
(Unless you've set up a session template that has some incorrect panning going on?)
I have also seen a setup that always pulled to one side, but the problem ended up being a time delay on one side of the stereo which caused a percieved image shift.
Thanks Bobby!

I'll take another look at the template and check if there is any wierd time delay going on anywhere.

Edit: Seemed to have found the culprit, using the Air Stereo Width plug in the Master Fader is what's causing the issue. If I disable it all the stereo tracks are dead center. Looks like I'm definitely going to need to upgrade to version 9 after I finish this mix.