Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 04:56 AM

Default Vista Going Down?

Hi,

I run PTHD2 on a Mac, but I use PCs in my studio as well. I run an Intel Quadcore and feed it into my PT rig, and it works great. But I use Windows XP. Thought about upgrading to VISTA, but after two years it still doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do.

And now, I'm seeing more industry articles about VISTA's inevitable demise, like the one I linked to below:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hi...49&tag=nl.e101

Is this overblown, or do you see VISTA being replaced (not just updated) anytime soon by another Microsoft 64bit OS? I'm curious whether many of us have decided to wait for something else, bypassing VISTA altogether?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Vista Going Down?

Actually I have Vista64 SP1 for another app and its rock solid.

I still prefer XP Since I've pretty much shown a flashlight into all of its dark places and know how to fix most things. I prefer XP and its familiarity.

Having said that Vista 64 is Smooth, Smooth Smooth and feels quite fast. fluid. Much like the move from single core to multicore.

The future is certainly 64 bit. When PT will catch up or be compatible is anyones guess.

I'm not in love with it (Vista64) but it "feels" very good, all of my non digi hardware was supported upon installation. If your application will take advantage of 64bits then I would say give it a try. If you can set any biases aside you will notice that the desktop is much better drawn than the competition and is much nicer to look at for long periods of time. At least that my impression.

Vista and Vista SP1 are two very distant creatures. Forget what you heard about Vista as most of it no longer applies. Strange as that may seem.

Number2 is your less likely to get any objective opinions on Vista in the Mac TDM forum

All OS's have successors 95 had 98. 98 had ME, ME had XP. Mac had OS9, OSX Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard etc. Point being if Vista 64 will offer you an advantage then you should probably upgrade or at least dual boot.

While I don't have a burning desire to slap Vista64 on all of my computers I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone that was interested.

A friend of mine with the same questions you rented a new laptop from Rent-A-Center for 2 weeks and the then went out and bought a new top of the line HP with Vista64 installed on it. Try before you buy-I think it cost less than 20.00 a week

It's nothing to be afraid of anymore.

FWIW I've had WAY more problems with Leopard on my Macbook.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Actually I have Vista64 SP1 for another app and its rock solid.

A friend of mine with the same questions you rented a new laptop from Rent-A-Center for 2 weeks and the then went out and bought a new top of the line HP with Vista64 installed on it. Try before you buy-I think it cost less than 20.00 a week

FWIW I've had WAY more problems with Leopard on my Macbook.

Good advice, thanks. I don't run any 64 bit apps yet. I could do Sonar or I guess maybe P5 that way, except that I use them as MIDI stations and plugin hosts primarily, and 95% of my plugins are still 32 bit only. I've been a little disappointed in the lack of 64 bit apps. I thought we'd have a lot more upgrades by now. I suppose that won't happen until the major DAWs follow in Cakewalk's footsteps.

I can run an incredible number and variety of VIs, VFX and soft samplers on my Quad PC compared to my Mac G5. I don't even have to think about CPU. And, IMO, I saved quite a bit of money by building it myself. I built only what I needed to do the job, over against what I would have paid for a new Mac Quad Core. Not a Mac "dis" by any means...I just didn't need all the Mac hardware features for this machine. So its not exactly an apples to apples comparison, no pun intended.

This is just a roundabout way of saying that, as happy as I am with 32 bit performance right now, I can only imagine what the 64bit world will bring to the table.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:57 AM

Windows 7 is coming Jan 2010.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...e.html?hpg1=bn

If Vista offers something you need, or a program you want support it then I would upgrade. If not, then stick to what works.

There are several threads here about how 64bit will affect PT. The bottom line is that PT can access a lot more RAM, but the processor won't benefit from it. (great for samplers, but not for plugins etc.)
Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
Windows 7 is coming Jan 2010.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...e.html?hpg1=bn

If Vista offers something you need, or a program you want support it then I would upgrade. If not, then stick to what works.

There are several threads here about how 64bit will affect PT. The bottom line is that PT can access a lot more RAM, but the processor won't benefit from it. (great for samplers, but not for plugins etc.)
Lode sums that up well.

Bottom line is that Vista SP1 is not nearly as horrible as urban legand has it.Right now the 32bit RAM limit is crimping things quite a bit on the VI Front. 64 bit and a fast multicore desktop are going to be a great combination for the average joe.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88