Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Default Re: PT native out of the bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Native ADC code now exists. That is HUGE news and the first big hurdle that I'll definitely acknowledge Avid Audio for, as there's no way that was no small task. This first step I'll have to applaud.

After being here for over a decade, this is clearly a different company altogether now. There is no way in hell digidesign with it's old gaurd would ever have released something like this.

Shane
That is huge. I simply dismissed the thought of LE getting ADC after nada for so long. If it is added then I will gladly take back everything I've said about it not going to happen. The release of HDN still makes me a little skeptical about allowing LE to stand on it's own with ADC, but we'll see. I can see LE still being the reason to want HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
Like watching the Berlin wall coming down...

Old 10-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
Like watching the Berlin wall coming down...
Right before our eyes...and very quickly I might add. This is a good thing.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4Vi7 View Post
Wow! This is exactly what I had hoped for. Excellent work Avid - this will kill. $5000 and your in HD land...... Excellent and I can not wait.

Good Work Avid!
About three months ago $6500 would have gotten you and HD1 card and 192 IO with your trade in. That's DSP power on top of ProTools HD. This card will NOT run TDM.

Don't say I didn't tell you so.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hue View Post
About three months ago $6500 would have gotten you and HD1 card and 192 IO with your trade in. That's DSP power on top of ProTools HD. This card will NOT run TDM.

What exactly did you tell us, in that thread?

Native isn't TDM... you're right. It's quite clear about that, too.

It's not going to replace TDM, it's simply entry level. If you need TDM... you get TDM. Do you realize the userbase for Pro Tools is probably about 90% RTAS and 10% TDM? Most of us are used to it by now, and most TDM plugs also have RTAS versions.

That being said... it's still a far better solution than current HD1 and 2, if you put it in a decently modern computer.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
What exactly did you tell us, in that thread?

Native isn't TDM... you're right. It's quite clear about that, too.

It's not going to replace TDM, it's simply entry level. If you need TDM... you get TDM. Do you realize the userbase for Pro Tools is probably about 90% RTAS and 10% TDM? Most of us are used to it by now, and most TDM plugs also have RTAS versions.

That being said... it's still a far better solution than current HD1 and 2, if you put it in a decently modern computer.
I would dare say that a modern octo core computer will easily make obsolete the dsp power of an HD system.

The HD 1-3 trade in deal was much better than this one. $3500 just for the card? It's a rip off IMHO. But, is TDM going the way of the dinosaur? You tell me. If this isn't just the beginning of a new trend. Well, maybe I'm reading it wrong but I can see support for TDM going Legacy very soon. Same way the mix plus went out.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamlan View Post
That is huge. I simply dismissed the thought of LE getting ADC after nada for so long. If it is added then I will gladly take back everything I've said about it not going to happen. The release of HDN still makes me a little skeptical about allowing LE to stand on it's own with ADC, but we'll see. I can see LE still being the reason to want HD.
ADC native code now exists. HD Native is the first to use this. This is pretty massive news for us native users. I highly doubt it will be exclusive to HD Native in my honest opinion. If we do a little more detective work, there's been some other very bold new moves alluded to in their advertising campaigns. Check this out from the HD Native promotion:

Here is another from the new Mbox launch promo:

First off, to allow other DAWs the use of more than 8 I/O in the HD I/O, Omni I/O, 192 I/O and 96 I/O via HD Native is HUGE! It really is. Currently, and for the past decade, we could only use a maximum of 8 I/O with ASIO/Core Audio on their high end hardware when using other DAWs. Secondly, they are promoting this as hardware to be used with all DAWs, not just Pro Tools. For them to even mention and list off other DAWs in their marketing promotion is quite shocking. They have clearly changed their strategy and finally become a real hardware company without the proprietary modus operandi they once had in the past. Digidesign would never ever have done this with their old guard, period. We can now buy whatever hardware from them that is best for our own needs and use it with all our favorite DAWs and audio audio programs. A plus point is that the PT software also happens to come with it. It's becoming the real hardware tier that we've all been screaming for. These are the boldest moves I've ever seen them do and definitely get an acknowledgment and applause from myself.

These really are big bold changes. I'll remain optimistic with what they'll reveal to us "LE" users. With all the new changes that are clearly obvious, I highly doubt we'll be left out. We should be jumping for joy knowing that they took the first big step and finally made the ADC engine native. To me, this is the biggest news of the entire HD Native release.

As far as us LE users, I'd say they're saving the best surprises for last.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
...Same way the mix plus went out.
Right... Mix went out, HD came in.

Revolving door, my friend. DSP will be back with a vengeance. Notice how the brand new MBoxes have DSP? UAD is still going strong and they refreshed, RME has DSP on their interfaces...

DSP is only evolving. New TDM cards will be out soon. Believe it.

D

Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Conversely, how do you think they are going to justify Complete Production Tool Kit for $2000?
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I'm glad it doesn't run TDM. I'd rather invest in outboard gear than Accel cards and TDM plug-ins for my own recording needs.

Shane

Old 10-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
ADC native code now exists. HD Native is the first to use this. This is pretty massive news for us native users. I highly doubt it will be exclusive to HD Native in my honest opinion. If we do a little more detective work, there's been some other very bold new moves alluded to in their advertising campaigns. Check this out from the HD Native promotion:

Here is another from the new Mbox launch promo:

First off, to allow other DAWs the use of more than 8 I/O in the HD I/O, Omni I/O, 192 I/O and 96 I/O via HD Native is HUGE! It really is. Currently, and for the past decade, we could only use a maximum of 8 I/O with ASIO/Core Audio on their high end hardware when using other DAWs. Secondly, they are promoting this as hardware to be used with all DAWs, not just Pro Tools. For them to even mention and list off other DAWs in their marketing promotion is quite shocking. They have clearly changed their strategy and finally become a real hardware company without the proprietary modus operandi they once had in the past. Digidesign would never ever have done this with their old guard, period. We can now buy whatever hardware from them that is best for our own needs and use it with all our favorite DAWs and audio audio programs. A plus point is that the PT software also happens to come with it. It's becoming the real hardware tier that we've all been screaming for. These are the boldest moves I've ever seen them do and definitely get an acknowledgment and applause from myself.

These really are big bold changes. I'll remain optimistic with what they'll reveal to us "LE" users. With all the new changes that are clearly obvious, I highly doubt we'll be left out. We should be jumping for joy knowing that they took the first big step and finally made the ADC engine native. To me, this is the biggest news of the entire HD Native release.

As far as us LE users, I'd say they're saving the best surprises for last.

Shane
Well said, Shane.

As I've been reiterating... they aren't done with us, yet.

D