Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Default HD Native Thunderbolt Qualification - Avid?

Avid - Why have you not qualified more computers for HD Native Thunderbolt?

One imac that was introduced over 2 years ago to go with your new product is unreasonable.

What gives?

Could you also please clarify what "mid-2011 Imac with i7 core" means? I assume it's the May 2011 release but it would be great if you would just say that.

Last edited by Ginger; 06-11-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt Qualification - Avid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Could you also please clarify what "mid-2011 Imac with i7 core" means? I assume it's the May 2011 release but it would be great if you would just say that.
I think you will find that mid-2011 Imac, is an Apple model description.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp623
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Not in the Apple store. It says May 2011, but it appears to be the one in your link. So the question is, why haven't Avid updated their qualification when the new iMacs can be ordered with the same processor.

I would like to assume it'll work just fine but it would be nice to have an official response. Why should anyone have to buy old product when the new one is the same processor but with minor updates (usb 3, for example)?

HDN Thunderbolt is less than a year old. They should be keeping up the qualification instead of expecting you to buy a computer you can only get refurb or used.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM

I expect they will update it when PT11 is out as the preliminary qualified list has other models listed.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 PM

There are two qualifications - 1 for the hardware & one for the software. The one I'm referring to is specifically for the HDN TB hardware. For that system, there is only one iMac qualified and it was quite a while ago. If that's a product they're interested in selling, and I would think it would be since it's been out for less than a year, there should be more models qualified by now or they should at least make a statement about it.

Not everyone needs or wants PT11 right away. But many pros need to keep working and need a new system now with the gear that's available today. There should be resources to facilitate that happening and there aren't. They're way out of date.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Avid does not and has never qualified on every system, they just don't have resource to do this.

If I was buying a Thunderbolt interface today I would have *zero* concerns about compatibility with different Apple system. Its PCs and Windows I would worry about. And its the combination of other Thunderbolt peripherals (sharing the thunderbolt cable chain or maybe even on the second port of a thunderbolt host chipset) that might concern me more.. and Avid cannot test all those permutations.

Avid cannot boil the ocean, if you have specific concerns post those questions here, what exact computers, interface and other TB peripherals are you worried about. I'm sure there are lots of folks running with lots of different Macs and Thunderbolt interfaces who might be able to comment on
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM

I have been a member of the DUC since its inception. I know Avid doesn't and never has qualified every system. I'm not asking them to. I'm simply asking that they qualify a computer that is actually currently available for purchase as several of the ones they've qualified are not. I'm talking specifically about the qualification for HDN TB as the title says. I've already said the imac i7. You have all the info you needed.

Having "zero concerns" is not enough. This system is for a client, not for me. I'm not about to guarantee them everything will work as it should when Avid has not said so. I'm not taking that kind of responsibility.

Thanks for the condescension, hyperbole and generally being a snot. You have added nothing to the conversation, which wasn't addressed to you in the first place. This is why longtime pro users like myself don't frequent this space as much as we used to.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 PM

You know Avid does not qualify every system, you know they don't necessarily qualify any system available at any time but don't let that stop you from demanding this changes now for you. When does your client needs this system by? Everything is going to stop and you are not going to provide any system to them until Avid, who is kind of distracted right now trying to get Pro Tools 11 out, delivers you an assurance that a current iMac i7 system runs OK with HD native Thunderbolt? I'd suggest your client not to expect that system any time soon. But hey if they (or you even) call up Sweetwater or others resellers they should be able to tell them all about customers and systems they have sold recently that run fine with HD Native Thunderbolt.

An i7 iMac does not exactly specify the system configuration e.g. which combination of TB peripherals will your customer be intending to use this with? Do you know? Do they know yet? Or or are folks here supposed to guess? If you ask a clear question with exactly their Thunderbolt peripheral chain folks here might be running that already. And if you get around much you can read posts here about folks successfully using a variety of Macs with HD Native Thunderbolt.

If your putting stuff together for your customers and adding value in doing that then buy exactly what you are selling them and test it yourself--starting from a pretty safe assumption that the Mac-TB Native part itself should be pretty solid. Are you planning on doing that? I was trying to get you to stop whining at Avid in a *user* forum and actually ask a useful question that that other users in this user forum could help you with. And you are whining about stuff you should know is how they operate and are unlikely to change. So what the point? But it seems you just want to keep complaining and actually dont' want any help. I'm not sure what value add you provide to clients but if I was them and saw posts like this I might be looking for help elsewhere.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM

Grow up.