Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-17-2014, 09:08 AM

Default Question for Zplane Elastique users...

Hello folks,

I have recently been doing shootouts for 24 25 / 25 24 fps conversions and must say that (after SRC) the Elastique pro algorithm sounds most natural to me (I tested it via Nuendo, with the Pro Pitch setting), also better than the results I got with Dirac, Mpex3 or ClearScale in TimeFactory II. (and way better than Xform).

I think another favourite would have been Radius in iZotope (they have far more parameters to tweak, pitch coherence being a must, than PT xform), but it only does stereo.

So I am thinking about getting Elastique Pitch as realtime plugin for rerecording deliveries directly in PT, however I was wondering: Would this work with destructive record (the way I work when doing deliveries) without hiccups/clicks? Has anybody used it this way before, i.e. stopping and starting in destructive record (I work with pre and post roll).

Just wondering, if it doesn't work this way I might just continue to do the offline processing in Nuendo.

Thanks for sharing any experience on this!
Andrew
Old 12-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Question for Zplane Elastique users...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
Hello folks,

I have recently been doing shootouts for 24 25 / 25 24 fps conversions and must say that (after SRC) the Elastique pro algorithm sounds most natural to me (I tested it via Nuendo, with the Pro Pitch setting), also better than the results I got with Dirac, Mpex3 or ClearScale in TimeFactory II. (and way better than Xform).

I think another favourite would have been Radius in iZotope (they have far more parameters to tweak, pitch coherence being a must, than PT xform), but it only does stereo.

So I am thinking about getting Elastique Pitch as realtime plugin for rerecording deliveries directly in PT, however I was wondering: Would this work with destructive record (the way I work when doing deliveries) without hiccups/clicks? Has anybody used it this way before, i.e. stopping and starting in destructive record (I work with pre and post roll).

Just wondering, if it doesn't work this way I might just continue to do the offline processing in Nuendo.

Thanks for sharing any experience on this!
Andrew
Agreed it sounds great but it does have a HUGE delay. You'd need a pretty long pre-roll I think
Old 12-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Hey Tom,

thanks for chiming in. What delay do you mean? I got the plugin and haven't noticed any delay yet, and am extremely happy with the results so far.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
Hey Tom,

thanks for chiming in. What delay do you mean? I got the plugin and haven't noticed any delay yet, and am extremely happy with the results so far.
I find it has a lot of latency and ADC has to apply a lot of compensation. I noticed it causes a delay between pressing play and playback actually starting when it's in a session.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 AM

Ah I see, that could be. Haven't checked as the recording process takes a while to start here anyway.
Still great to instantly hear how the material behaves.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM

has anyone tested elastique against Pitch n Time Pro (v3)? How does it hold up? Have to say I haven't found anything to beat PnT yet, if you get the settings right.... But open for new stuff...