Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-07-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Midi Controller Sound Quality Issues

No problem
Old 08-08-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephendanielson97 View Post
I turned the midi velocity all the way up on one of my piano tracks, it definitely sounds clearer, although much more harsh than what Im going for. I recorded the midi data by playing very delicately. How would I turn velocity up for all tracks so I can just play at the appropriate velocity without going back and tweaking it?
Playing very delicately is only part of the issue. Check the velocity curve that the Motif is sending out - you may have to tweak that. Also check the velocity curve that Addictive Keys is using - you may have to tweak that.

As to turning up the velocity in PT right click the track that has the MIDI and in the Event Operations window select 'change velocity'. There you can do all sort of things to the recorded velocity.

Keep in mind that changing velocity not only changes the level of the sound but also the samples being played. That could be why it sounds 'harsh' to you when you crank up the velocity. Do you have a volume pedal connected to the Motif? How are you controlling the MIDI CC7 volume of the track?

QAPLA!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannuala View Post

5. When the virtual instruments are created, they are being recorded naturally with -24 dB signal level, thus giving the users 24 dB to compress it louder and mix the songs before the sound clips and becomes distorted. THIS IS WHY you feel the sound being poor ar this step.
6. Insert your favourite compressor to the piano track and add about 6-10 dB of gain, no more.

Hope this helps. I'm a professional pianist.
--
Hannu
You may be a professional pianist but these two steps are wrong. Don't know where you got your info but vi's are not recorded at that level but at a level so that the loudest sounds don't clip.

You also don't compress sounds to make them louder. You compress a track (if necessary) to even out wild levels to make things sit better in a piece of music. Sure you can crank a compressor's output level to make things loud but that's what lead to the volume wars.

QAPLA!