How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2020, 02:05 AM

Default Re: 2020.9 stability...

ok, I found the culprit of the spinning beachballs:
AVID Link reinstalled after the update..
once I removed it everything went back to smooth sailing!!
Old 09-23-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
ok, I found the culprit of the spinning beachballs:
AVID Link reinstalled after the update..
once I removed it everything went back to smooth sailing!!
That´s the first thing I do after updating.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:15 AM

I'm also having issues with RX 7 and 8. I'm sorry you're dealing with it too, but happy to hear that I'm not alone! I've gone back and forth with support for over a month, and I still haven't found a solution. They made it sound like I was the only one. This is on two of my 3 systems! It works perfectly on my windows system, but not on my macbook pro. I also recently "upgraded" to a 7.1 mac pro, and it has the same issue. Sometimes it works, usually it doesn't. I can usually at least open up an audiosuite RX plugin after opening a session with all plugins inactive, but sometimes that crashes too. If anyone finds a fix for this, please let us know! It's a HUGE workflow killer for me, and I'm furious about it!

I'm also having an issue with Sonnox Drum Gate. I can't open the plugin window during playback without getting a show stopping CPU error. If I forget and click to open it while playing, I get a cpu error, and then cannot playback the session until I quit and relaunch pro tools. Again... Fine on windows, but this is 100% reproducible on the new mac "pro".

Begin rant: I'm pretty furious that the insanely expensive mac "pro" can't hang with the CPU power of my i9 9900k windows machine. Still trying to decide if I want to keep the mac because of it's lack of power when using pro tools, and stability issues mentioned above. I only use it for pro tools, and feel like these machines seem to be better suited for other applications. Sadly, iMessage is the one thing that keeps me on mac. Crazy that something as simple as a messaging platform can get it's claws in so deep! Why isn't there a slightly larger mac mini/screen-less iMac with an i9?
Old 09-23-2020, 07:42 AM

Sonnox Drum Gate working just fine, without the mentioned behaviour, on a 2013 Mac Pro so it must be some other compatibility issue. For troubleshooting, move all your plugins to unused folder except Sonnox Drum Gate and try again.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
Begin rant: I'm pretty furious that the insanely expensive mac "pro" can't hang with the CPU power of my i9 9900k windows machine.
OT, but this shouldn’t be a surprise in 2020. Should’ve been apparent from the system specs, right? Macs have been behind here for the past decade but Apple still charges very high prices and apparently people are willing to pay for it.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:16 AM

How do I uninstall Avid Link? I've gotten rid of it before but in both Application Support and under Avid in my App file there are folders for Avid Link but no uninstaller in either.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvillej View Post
How do I uninstall Avid Link? I've gotten rid of it before but in both Application Support and under Avid in my App file there are folders for Avid Link but no uninstaller in either.
Uninstaller should be installed with it
Old 09-23-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
I'm also having issues with RX 7 and 8....
Just saw this and I'm 99% sure I have your answer. I upgraded to a Mac Pro 7,1 this spring and immediately had the same problem with RX7 AudioSuite plugins crashing Pro Tools. After nearly a week of experimenting I figured out what was going on:

If you have any instances of Oxford Drum Gate in your session, and you have a version of ODG higher than version 1.0 installed, you won't be able to open an RX AudioSuite plugin without an instant forced quit of Pro Tools.

If I remember correctly, you can even open a session that has an instance of Oxford Drum Gate, close that session, open any number of new sessions that don't use ODG, and you'll still get an unexpected quit when you try to open an RX AudioSuite plugin. Just opening one session with an instance of ODG seems to put PT in the "ready-to-crash" state.

Oxford Drum Gate version 1.0 works fine though. Unfortunately the settings aren't compatible with later versions in Pro Tools though, at least for automation, so you'll lose any plugin automation going between versions.

This is on a Mac Pro 7,1 running Catalina 15.3 and Pro Tools 2020.5 and 2020.9.

I reported the issue to both Sonnox and iZotope in late May/early June and heard back from tech support at both companies, but I'm sure additional reports wouldn't hurt.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvillej View Post
Look for the Avid Uninstaller folder in the Applications folder. It disappears once Avid Link and Cloud Client Services have been uninstalled.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:49 AM

Does not disappear here. What system are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk