Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-31-2020, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Anyone tried Protools on an M1 mac yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post
Nah, my M1 MBP works way better than the 2020 Intel one I had for serious use, even with 8gb.
My thought also, I just sold my Mac mini late 2012 i5 with 16 gb of ram, that was running great with pro tools for my needs (mostly audio recording and mixing). If I could record and mix on this machine, I’m expecting the M1 to perform very well for me. It’s important to say that I don’t do VI, just the pro tools Expand for some demo work to send to the musicians.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
My thought also, I just sold my Mac mini late 2012 i5 with 16 gb of ram, that was running great with pro tools for my needs (mostly audio recording and mixing). If I could record and mix on this machine, I’m expecting the M1 to perform very well for me. It’s important to say that I don’t do VI, just the pro tools Expand for some demo work to send to the musicians.
I would recommend to get the 16gb instead of 8gb if you can. I have run into occasional slowdowns if I have a complicated Final Cut Pro timeline rendering while having a lot of other apps open (especially a lot of Safari tabs). But that is the only time so far I have seen the memory pressure get into the yellow.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post
I would recommend to get the 16gb instead of 8gb if you can. I have run into occasional slowdowns if I have a complicated Final Cut Pro timeline rendering while having a lot of other apps open (especially a lot of Safari tabs). But that is the only time so far I have seen the memory pressure get into the yellow.
Yeah, I’m getting the 16 gb of ram option.

On the other hand, I’m kind of old school when using the computer for recording. Basically when I run pro tools I close everything else, one app at a time.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:50 PM

A powermac g5 hd accell system is fine for audio recording and mixing.

Get into composing and or writing and producing songs that need instant change of VI parts. Multiple instances of kontact. Templates of all articulations of an orchestra. Etc... you need a real work station.

I know the m1 is fine. Compared the the macpro 71 it's a toy. Compare it to the next Gen macpro with apple silicon in 2022 and it's will be even worse.

Obviously depends on your needs. It's an entry level machine replacing entry level machines.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2020, 02:58 PM

From what I have seen the M1 is a seismic move forward.

Granted, these are entry level machines at present but when they are performing as good as the i9 MacBook Pros without the heat and associated battery drain costing nearly £3000 upwards it is pretty amazing.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Yeah, I’m getting the 16 gb of ram option.

On the other hand, I’m kind of old school when using the computer for recording. Basically when I run pro tools I close everything else, one app at a time.
Same here. Perhaps it's a relic attitude from the days when resources were slimmer and PT didn't like anything else running.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
The current m1 are toys.
Don't forget that they're also priced that way. The power you get with an M1 MacMini, for well under $1k, is impressive.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Don't forget that they're also priced that way. The power you get with an M1 MacMini, for well under $1k, is impressive.
Yeah it is impressive. I'm looking forward to the mac pro with apple silicon.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:33 AM

Hey just tried out the Craneborne audio R8 this morning with the M1 MacBook Air..
the MacBook recognized the R8 in audio midi setup but I could not get a
stereo mix out of it.
I was however able to hear out the mix when I routed track one through
slot 1..still trying it out but pretty cool!
My old Digidesign oo2 R and the 11 rack were not recognized with the M1.
Anyhow Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
A powermac g5 hd accell system is fine for audio recording and mixing.

Get into composing and or writing and producing songs that need instant change of VI parts. Multiple instances of kontact. Templates of all articulations of an orchestra. Etc... you need a real work station.

I know the m1 is fine. Compared the the macpro 71 it's a toy. Compare it to the next Gen macpro with apple silicon in 2022 and it's will be even worse.

Obviously depends on your needs. It's an entry level machine replacing entry level machines.

Hardly a toy! The single core performance of an entry level M1 Mac beats my 7.1 16 core!