Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Default Re: kensington expert mouse trackball

Hi All,
Has anyone used the slimblade version yet? How does it compare?
Best,
Brandon
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 AM

I'm using a slimblade mainly on PC PT - still too scared to put the Kensington Mouseworks on though. Feels nice enough, also run an Expert Mouse Pro at home but again too scared to put the ye olde Kensington mouseworks on the system.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM

If any UK members are after one of these but are put off by the price - I have come across a great deal from a very unexpected source....QVC!

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.as...source=froogle

that's £41 delivered for the current model Expert mouse.

It seems that Kensington have given up on updating Mouseworks for SL though....how are you guys who are using it getting along with using the extra keys & functions without Mouseworks? Or does it still "sort of" work?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Thumbs up Re: kensington expert mouse trackball

We have a few of the Expert Mouse with MouseWorks installed. Our systems are using v10.4.9. I have received no complaints about this model. We just had one of the supports in the crater break off somehow, but everything breaks eventually. Kensington, in keeping with their great service and warranty, is going to replace it free of charge. Sometimes, you get a company that gets it when you log a support request.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccanears View Post
I'm using a slimblade mainly on PC PT - still too scared to put the Kensington Mouseworks on though. Feels nice enough, also run an Expert Mouse Pro at home but again too scared to put the ye olde Kensington mouseworks on the system.
My home rig runs on Vista Ultimate and I've had Mouseworks running on it for about a year with no disasters (yet, at least!). Every once in awhile it gets a little confused and I have to baby its settings a little (it's a weeny little Dell laptop, so it's trying to handle the touchpad as well, which doesn't seem to help the issue), but overall I'd much rather have to deal with that every couple of months than forgo the benefits of Mouseworks.

If you do decide to try it, google installing mouseworks on vista (or Windows 7) or something similar -- as I recall, there was some trick to it all... installing in XP SP2 compatibility mode, perhaps.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Hi All,
Has anyone used the slimblade version yet? How does it compare?
Best,
Brandon
I have a Slimblade. Does NOT work with Mouseworks. According to Kensington, it isn't supposed to!

The Slimblade has it's own driver in place of mouseworks- aimed at consumer media functions.

I had to buy the Expert Mouse and retire the Slimblade to my 'bookkeeping' computer- even then, I had to install USB Accellerator to get the function I needed for spreadsheets.

Looks cool, though.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:16 PM

I have the "Expert Mouse Pro" trackball. four main buttons, scroll whell (vert or Horizontal) and 6 pre-set website buttons. I've had it for about 7 years and don't know what I'd do w/o it.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM

If anyones interested in one of these I have a couple that I'm not using.

Email me. Won't be till end of April when I get back to town but I think I have 2 of them.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpostguy View Post
Im running a new kensington trackball, one thing I really miss since switching from the mighty mouse in PT is sideways scrolling. This if anything is slowing me down. But the lack of wrist pain is more worth having to click scroll bars. Can anyone recommend a way to regain sideways scrolling with my trackball or perhaps some shortcuts? Cheers
Try holding down shift while you move your scroll wheel
Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM

To answer my own question, "Steermouse" enables buttons & speed to be assigned per application, even though it appear to only really be for mice. Shift-scroll still sideways scrolls, so Mouseworks performance but SL compatible. yay.