Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-18-2001, 07:26 PM

Default Problem opening a Mac PT session

I think i've done most things right, but when opening a file created on a

digi 001 PT 5.1 session from a mac in my

PT 5.1.1 AMIII on my pc,

the session starts to load, tells me the digi 001 playback engine is not available, do i want to use my AMIII? I say yes. Then the program completely freezes while trying to load the first audio file.

It's a complete freeze which even ctrl-alt-del can't get me out of. I have to do a hard reboot.

The session was transferred via cd. And i've unchecked "read only" after transfering the files to my computer.

I've been able to create a new session on my computer and use the wave files from the mac with no problems. I've tried starting the mac session with the audio files in the trash, and i still get the same crash, so i think it must be the session file causing the problem.

The digi 001 session file has many i/o settings which of course aren't available on my system.

Could this be the problem?

Thanks, Steve
Old 11-18-2001, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Problem opening a Mac PT session

Though I haven't tried it yet ( opening the same session on different platforms) there is a selection in the SAVE AS window that forces Mac & PC compatibility as opposed to Mac OR PC. If the session was already saved this way someone more experienced than I will have to reply..hope this helps [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Bryan

MAC G5 PPC OSX 10.4.9 / PT 7.3 HD2 - I/O 192 /Control 24

DELL Dual Core, MBOX/003R PT 8 WIN XP
Old 11-18-2001, 08:26 PM

That was the advice I got from Digitech support also. Use the SAVE AS feature for compatibility. Good luck.
Allen
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2001, 12:57 AM

We started the session from scratch on the Mac and checked "enforce mac pc compatibility" and then just copied the session folder on to a cd.

Are you saying that this won't work, and i need to "save a session copy" in order for my PC to be able to open the session?

We're just messing around now, but soon we'll really need this to work.

Thanks, Steve
Old 11-25-2001, 04:51 PM

Bump.

Input from digi would be most appreciated.

Steve
Old 11-26-2001, 08:16 AM
Avid

Perhaps the session is corrupt. Create a new session and use the File>Import Tracks command to transfer the tracks into the new session file.

Brent
Old 11-26-2001, 10:44 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Perhaps the session is corrupt. Create a new session and use the File>Import Tracks command to transfer the tracks into the new session file.

Brent
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As i mentioned above, i've done that and the audio (.wav) files seem to be fine.

This solution works now, but won't be of much use once we've gotten in to some detailed editing and mixing. Then, retaining the session file info will be crucial.

I need to get this working soon.

Steve
Old 11-26-2001, 05:12 PM

I also have experimented with this. I use a Mac TDM system at work and just bought a digi001 LE system for my home PC. The only way so far that I've been able to get it to work is.....
1.Create the Mac session with the sound format in either Aif or Wav to start with.
For some reason I can't get my LE to recognize SDII files even with the *.sd2 extension.
2.check PC compatibility (I think this only forces you to name things correctly)

Things that haven't worked...
1. A session with a Movie track (not supported) crashed on attempt to open
2. Session with SDII files.

Curiously, ProTools on a PC can see and import Mac soundfiles (no extension ie: *.AIF) So you don't necessarily need the extensions when going cross platform

I've justed started working on this myself so please correct if I'm wrong.

P.S. See My message on Soundfile quirk
Old 11-27-2001, 12:32 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by cubasteve:

As i mentioned above, i've done that and the audio (.wav) files seem to be fine.

This solution works now, but won't be of much use once we've gotten in to some detailed editing and mixing. Then, retaining the session file info will be crucial.

I need to get this working soon.

Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, we created two session the same way:

Created on Mac as new session with enforce mac pc compatiblity checked and working with wav files.

We imported some tracks from an ADAT, saved the session, then burned the whole session folder to a cd-rom.

On my PC, both session crash the computer at the "locating audio files" box. But the wave files were fine for importing in to new sessions on my PC in both cases.

Thanks again, Steve
Old 11-28-2001, 08:07 PM

I filed a tech support request on this issue and received a prompt reply from digi.

However when i tried to reply to their email response with some follow-up info my email was returned marked: user unknown.

What is the appropriate way to follow up such a reply?

Here is my reply in case it's of any use here:

"Hi, and thanks for the quick reply.

I noticed a couple slight differences between my situation and your test, don't know if they'd matter.

1. The mac is running PT LE 5.1 whereas i'm running PT LE 5.1.1

2. We never did the "save session copy" option, we simply started the session with mac/pc compatibility enforced then copied the folder when done.

3. Since we were transferring form adat the session is 16 bit and 48k

I don't get in to the MAC studio too often, so i'm trying to resolve this fairly quickly without too much trial and error.

However i will be visiting a friend with a mac and protools, so i'll try a couple things there and see what i find."

Steve