Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Default MacBook Air 2015 or earlier experiences?

so I want to get the next MacBook Air in 2016 or tomorrow if it gets revealed, basically the sky lake model with USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 is what I'm waiting for. I just want to know people's experience with the Air's. My expectations are to run smooth 8-16 track recording sessions just for the tracking. The mixing would go down on a much better system.thanks.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 AM

Default Re: MacBook Air 2015 or earlier experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
so I want to get the next MacBook Air in 2016 or tomorrow if it gets revealed, basically the sky lake model with USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 is what I'm waiting for. I just want to know people's experience with the Air's. My expectations are to run smooth 8-16 track recording sessions just for the tracking. The mixing would go down on a much better system.thanks.
I would not hold my breath for a new Air right now, but who knows...

With what interface?

If thunderbolt.... Few if any users have seen Thunderbolt 3 working with any audio interface, or anything else for that matter, and what Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 converter do you plan on using? Apple will likely need to announce their own converter/cable as well, then we get to see how well that works with a variety of devices and drivers.

It also does not make sense, at least to me, for Apple to introduce Thunderbolt 3 first on their lowest end device. That would hurt sales on lots of higher-end and higher-margin products.

If a USB interface I would hope for less issues, but who knows.

Especially with disk cache on Pro Tools 12 I would hope this would work OK for you. Especially if not tracking through plugins. It is just not clear many folks have been brave enough to try with past Air models as they have been lacking compared to MBP.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:57 AM

FWIW I've been running pt11 on a 2012 MacBook Air i7 w/ 8gb ram for a couple months. I don't track more than 2 channels at a time (Mbox3mini) with it but it's been pretty solid compared to my 2009 MBP...
Old 09-09-2015, 04:19 AM

I had the entry level (4GB) 11" previous generation model (2014), I didn't buy it for Pro Tools but out of curiosity gave it a go and was quite surprised at what it could achieve. Talking 24-32 channel sessions, Slate VMR on each channel plus a bunch things like Decapitator on a few channels and a few reverb returns (Valhalla). VBC and VTM on the master buss. The fans would be spinning hard but it handled it.

Did a few 16-20 channel live tracking sessions on it, PTHD12 with an RME UFX (recording to an external drive) and it didn't skip a beat. Fans were quiet too as no plugins being used.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Ah well, no new MacBook Air for you today...
Old 09-09-2015, 12:55 PM

Ah well, no new MacBook Air for you today...

I do hope we see Thunderbolt 3 on updated MacBook Pros and maybe other Macs some time this year, but even that may be optimistic.