Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-17-2015, 03:58 AM

Default Coming back to Protools.

I am using Ableton and Reaper for sound design, and music to picture having left the old PT 8.0 HD back in 2008.

I see that things have changed alot with no LE HD and AAX, plus realtime bounce etc.

I am wondering whether to dip my toe into the PT world again just for the editing and delivering PT sessions which are standard in TV / Film

I know there is a PT free coming but have heard its quite limited, with no save, no import of other sessions etc.

I am thinking of maybe starting out to use PT again as a stereo editor on my finished tracks to familiarize myself with PT again. I am currently using Twisted Wave on the Mac as a 2-track editor, but maybe I should jump into PT to do the same sort of functions and at the same time learn PT, so i can progress at my own rate to full multi-track sessions from Logic/Ableton/Reaper that i use?
Old 02-17-2015, 04:08 AM

Post Re: Coming back to Protools.

Upgrade v8 HD to v10 HD. This does not get you to v11 or v12. Your other point of entry would be Pro Tools v12 (which includes v11) for $199, which includes one year of support/upgrades. Beyond year 1, you will have to renew your support/upgrade plan. Otherwise, when you want to upgrade to the first version beyond v12, you will have to pay $199 again.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Coming back to Protools.

I should explain that I sold my PT rig, so no longer have v8 or any version of PT.

So am looking at coming back as a new customer.

Im just hoping that PT could start out as a good audio editor for me and then prgress from there or is Twisted wave a better option?
Old 02-17-2015, 04:51 AM

Why wouldn't you try it out yourself? There is a free trial, you only need to invest in an iLok2 license key if you don't have one already. Within a month you should know whether it's good for you or not.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There is a free trial, you only need to invest in an iLok2 license key if you don't have one already.
http://connect.avid.com/Pro-Tools-Trial.html

Good idea Janne!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.