Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-29-2015, 06:14 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 Video Frame issues

I've recently installed Pro Tools 11 for post production work. The issue is two fold so far. One video plays back at the wrong frame rate and a different video has other frames flashing throughout the playback.

Both videos are movs, they both work when played on VLC Player and they also worked when I used them on Pro Tools 10.3.8

I've never had any Avid video editing software on my PC. In fact I put Pro Tools 11 on a clean installed PC.

Anyone else having similar issues? Is this a Pro Tools 11 problem.

I'm considering going to Pro Tools 10.3.9 but I'm currently using Windows 8.1 and the lack of support is a little disconcerting. My spec is below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i5 4460 3.20 GHz
8GB RAM
M-Audio Mobile Pre Mkii
Windows 8.1
Old 01-29-2015, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Video Frame issues

What codec are the .mov files? I'm not the best at troubleshooting PT video issues, but I'm sure the guys that are would like to know more details about the video files you are trying to import.

And just as a recommendation, if you are working with video it would be advisable to install at least another 8 gigs of RAM.

Also, typically for video issues, you'll find that the people most familiar with any issues you are having will be in the Post Production sub-forum. http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 AM

Both videos are h.264.
I'm surprised you mention more RAM. The videos were working fine on my previous PC which was only 4 GB RAM.

I've also just uninstalled 11.3 and installed 10.3.9 and both the viedos work fine.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:55 AM

When I had 8 gigs of RAM in my machine loading video in would take up a substantial portion of my memory usage. Dropping in samplers or running big sessions would get my memory usage up into the 70% or higher range, which is too close for comfort for me :) YMMV

In the list of qualified Avid codecs for PT11 it states "H.264 (Performance may vary)". I'm pretty sure most people haven't found that codec to be problematic but "officially" it could be.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...r-Pro-Tools-11

I'm sure others with more experience with your issue will chime in here, hope you get it worked out!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 AM

working with video in PT 11 you need 8GB RAM min, 16+ preferred
h264 and PT is never a good mix, get SQUARED 5's MPEG STREAMCLIP and convert it to DNxHD36 http://www.squared5.com/

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F;2227219... get SQUARED 5's MPEG STREAMCLIP and convert it to DNxHD36 [URL="http://www.squared5.com/"
http://www.squared5.com/
[/URL]
Out of interest : do you prefer mpeg streamclip over quicktime pro for some reason ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-29-2015, 01:55 PM

it's free
it will do most camera codecs w/o a fuss, it's becoming a slandered way to trans-code files from camera to editing software

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 PM

In addition to the advice about using DNxHD instead of H.264:

The session setup may need to change to match the framerate. Check the framrate display of the video track in the Edit window. If it's red, you have a mismatch. Open session setup (I forget which menu it's in, you can get there with CMD-2) and change the sesion framerate to match the video.

I've found that Motion JPEG, DNxHD, and Apple ProRes are the most trouble-free codecs to use in a PT machine that uses desktop video. I default to DNxHD because I'm on Windows, and Photo JPEG always looks desaturated.