Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Help me make sense of these ADC readings ...

Just change all your music to free time, problem solved.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Could you please make some music while wondering about this?
Why are you here if you're not interested in helping or contributing? Go make some music yourself.

I'm trying to learn and understand the software better. What's bad about that? Is it getting too complicated for you?

People asked me to post screenshots of the entire session. Including you. That's what I did.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerkarlo View Post
Why are you here if you're not interested in helping or contributing? Go make some music yourself.
I'm trying to learn and understand the software better. What's bad about that? Is it getting too complicated for you?
People asked me to post screenshots of the entire session. Including you. That's what I did.
Don't let it bug you. People here are different and have different ways, I'm shure it's not meant in a bad way. Took me a while to understand some of them, too.

I think it's interesting, and you have done a good job of pointing to something that might be essential.

I've no answers, though. I will follow.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Don't let it bug you. People here are different and have different ways, I'm shure it's not meant in a bad way.

Exactly- no sweat
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Could you please make some music while wondering about this?
You can always chill with a fine Finn guitarist: Mauri Berg – (from Pyhajarvi to Adelaide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mrcrFAseU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMzezAsLgIo

Less Off-Topic:
Eventide Precision Time Align plugin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6VIR0SsV1A

Then – back On Topic – please!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Help me make sense of these ADC readings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerkarlo View Post
Ok guys, here are the screenshots of the entire session. Very simple. Only 1 output. No hardware inserts. Who can solve the mystery of the ADC readings?

Maybe I can contribute something myself. Today I set up a test session with 2 audio channels and 2 aux fx channels. I added some plugins and routings and realised how quickly it becomes difficult to keep track of ADC values.

Picture 1 is very straightforward: Aux 1 causes the most delay: 2306 samples. Every other channel is therefore delayed by 2306 samples minus its own delay. The sum of all ADC readings is always 2306.

On picture 2 it gets more complicated. Now Audio 2 (which has a plugin causing a delay of 62 samples) is routed to the fx channels. The total delay of the session should therefore equal 2368 samples. This is correctly reflected in the ADC reading of Audio 1. BUT: the 2 aux channels don't display the additional delay. Their ADC readings remain at 2306. I'm thinking this is a fault, as the fx channels should also be compensated by the additional 62 samples.

On picture 3 it gets interesting. Now Aux 2 is sending to Aux 1. That increases the total session delay to 3540 samples (= 2306 + 1172 + 62). Again, this is correctly reflected in the ADC reading of Audio 1. But again, the 2 aux channels don't show this additional delay!

To sum it up, I still believe the readings on the aux channels are wrong but the ADC process works correctly. I set all the fx signals to dry only so I could check if they are phase accurate with the signal coming from the audio channels and the absolutely are.

Aux sends only get ADC applied in PTHD - I didn't notice you specify if you were using HD, so presumably you're using regular "vanilla" PT.

EDIT :

Scratch that - that'll teach me to skim read.

So the session IS properly compensated, this is just a display issue?

I was beginning to wonder if it was something to do with the dual buffer system PT now has, with Aux tracks being in the high latency buffer, and audio tracks that aren't routed through an Aux, being in the low latency buffer.

Could be a factor if there is an audible problem (I also vaguely remember a bug, whereby a send on a track that was on the right of the return track, on the mixer topology, caused some weird ADC issue).

But from what you're saying, it sounds like the Audio Engine is working correctly, but the display is not reflecting that calculation accurately.

I'm going to stay out of this particular rabbit hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Carl Kolchak; 03-30-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Aux sends only get ADC applied in PTHD
Ahem... Sadly, this feature is only for HDX
Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 AM

You need to think of the total audio path - not each channel in isolation.

eg: In your second example where you feel the display is wrong (which it is not)

Audio 2 has a plugin which delays it by 62 samples. That audio has three routes to the mix buss.

Route 1 - (Channel Direct) - Plugin delay 62 samples + compensation delay of 2306 samples = path delay of 2368 samples.

Route 2 - (Send to Aux 1) - Plugin delay 62 samples + plugin delay of aux 1 of 2306 samples = path delay of 2368 Samples.

Route 3 - (Send to Aux 2) - Plugin delay of 62 samples + plugin delay of aux 2 of 1172 samples - plus compensation delay of 1134 samples = 2368 samples.

All paths have the same delay.

If the auxes added an addition 62 samples of delay in this case they would then be 62 samples late against the output of the channel and would consequently phase on the mix buss.

Everything is working and shown as intended.

Regards,

Mark
Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 PM

Mark, you're talking about the second image of my test session. What you are saying makes sense - at first thought. But now let's consider the same 3 routes that Audio 1 takes:

Route 1 (direct): Plugin delay 0 samples + compensation delay of 2368 samples = path delay of 2368 samples.

Route 2 (send to Aux 1): Plugin delay 0 samples + plugin delay of Aux 1 of 2306 samples = path delay of 2306 samples.

Route 3 (send to Aux 2): Plugin delay 0 samples + plugin delay of Aux 2 of 1172 samples + compensation delay of 1134 samples = 2306 samples.

That would mean the direct signal from Audio 1 would be out of phase with the signal coming from Aux 1 and 2.

What do you think about this?
Old 03-31-2017, 01:27 PM

That appears to give pause for thought, but I would suggest that the user visual feedback here is simply limited.

If the audio on Audio 1 is to be correctly delay compensated in your example it needs to have a compensating delay on it's send of 62 samples. There is nowhere to display this in the interface.

That's my 2 cents anyway

Best,

Mark