Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 AM

Default Sudden loss of sound while auditioning sounds in Xpand2 (Pro Tools 8)

I have several times over the last few weeks had problems with sudden loss of sound while auditioning patches in Xpand2 in Pro Tools 8.

There is a nasty clicking sound and then no sound. I can se the meters in the mixer window in ProTools8 still responds to my midi keyboard but no sound.

To get sound back I have to restart ProTools8. Then it works again, but for how long..... ?

For the record I'v trashed preferences, turned off bluetooth, spotlight, screensaver and everything else that's reccomended. I only have AutoTune 5 as third party plugin. Everything else is only ProTools8.

Se my signature below for info on my system.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Sudden loss of sound while auditioning sounds in Xpand2 (Pro Tools 8)

chrisdee, if you can reproduce this issue, I'd write up a Bug Report Form.

Regards.

filosofem
Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Avid

Default Re: Sudden loss of sound while auditioning sounds in Xpand2 (Pro Tools 8)

Quote:
500 GB MyBook Studio FW HD
How do you have the drive and MBox 2 Pro connected to the computer? Does the problem happen if you test using the internal drive and disconnect the FW drive? Have you tested this from a new admin account? Do you have RTAS Error Suppression enabled?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 PM

I have both the mbox2 pro and the firewire disk connected to each of the firewire ports on my imac.

I have not tried to dissconnect the firewire disk and record to the system disk. I thought recording to system disk was not reccomended ?

RTAS Error Suppression is disabled ?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 AM

Well. I'v tried to disconnect the firewire disk and record to the system disk as suggested, but the problem is still here. Now it happens every 5 minutes both during recording and playback. I really can't work like this!

I read a post similare to this, and a guy said something about plugin spiking. I'm not shure what he ment, but could this be the problem ?
I manly use Xpand2 and Boom on my instrument tracks. Usually 8 to 12 instrument tracks.

For the record I only have AutoTune5.08 and full version of Sturcture 1.02 as thirdparty plugin on my system with PT8cs1.

Trashing preferences did not help. And I have powermanagement, screensavers, bluetooth and airport turned of.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 AM

If I didn't mention it I upgraded to PT8cs1 yesterday but that didn't help. In addition I run a repair disk permissions but neither that helped.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:22 AM

God damn it. It happened again. PT8 is usless to me if i can work out how to fix this.

There is a click noise, and the the sound Is gone. I can see the meter indicators moving in the mixer window during playback. I can even record, but no god damn sound. As I said this happens every 5 minutes after playback or recording.

I'm I the only one having this problem ?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Its very a very frustrating problem. Any suggestions ?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 AM

I get the exact same thing chrisdee. I was playing around with the new v8 installation, nothing hectic. One instrument track, with Structure. Then decided to look at Xpand2. Opened another instrument track, added Xpand2, started going through the presets, then click & no more sound from Xpand2. Was just using the Micro, and the internal drive. I don't have RTAS suppression enabled, wasn't even trying to record anything. Just the two instrument tracks with Structure on the one, and Xpand2 on the other. All I wanted to do was listen to some of the new free sounds for Structure, and then decided to go through some of the new presets for Xpand2.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 AM

Nice to know I'm not the only one. Actually there are many strange things that happens in some of my sessions. For example, if I deactivate some instrument tracks save the sesssion, close it and open it again, I can't activate them again sometimes. I have to delete them and insert a new instrument track.