How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM

Default Levels

Hi all.

My question after all these years is still the same. I don't know how to set volume/input levels in my recordings. What do you do?

For example, does it matter if the input signal is strong compared to other levels, even though they read the same way graphically? In other words, when I mix at the end, does it matter if one level is mixed super low to blend in with other tracks? Or are there guidelines for optimal sound?

Thanks in advance!
Pete
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Levels

That is not a simple question to answer. If I were you I would get a book or look on YouTube for some videos on proper gain staging. There are many variables to consider in the final mix. If your going to add lots of effects to a track like compression etc... You can leave more headroom on the input otherwise if you push the input at recording time you won't have any room left for effects and mastering. So it really depends on the project. Also if things are recorded a little low you can add a little on the back end but if you push too hard during tracking your screwed. I don't consider my self an expert and there are many people here who can give you great advice, but I would start with learning proper gain staging and signal flow. Also things in the digital world vs analog are a bit different when it comes to levels.

I hope this helps.

Sean