Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2015, 09:32 AM

Default Extra Long Delay - Why Avid did you discontinue ???

Extra Long Delay - Why Avid did you discontinue ???

i just had to open several older sessions and the Extra Long Delay is boning my world ..

i just wanted to say THANK YOU NOT AVID for discontinuing this plugin ..

is there any way we can get it back .. i have dozens of session that i used this as an effect and now need to re-build these track FX .. Lame IMHO

flame on at me .. i do not care anymore .. i can open a session in cubase from 1857 and it will all work ..

you are losing me Avid, one day at a time .. yesterday i fired up PT11 on my macbook pro and Assertion errors and have to toss pref's - we are all getting tired of resetting every pref we use on a regular basis .. such lame lame BS from the "Industry Standard"

no cheers today .. john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Extra Long Delay - Why Avid did you discontinue ???

The Mod Delay III is the replacement for that, and it includes some presets based on the starting points from that old series of plugs. It goes up to 5000 ms and replaces the "short, slap, medium," etc. series and puts them all in one plug. It also has the updated look similar to Channel Strip, and the new Revibe.

For me, I found the old series to be kind of a hassle, not always knowing which one to grab for whichever delay length. They must have given you a choice for when DSP and CPU power were at a premium.

The transition period can always be a hassle, and it's too bad it won't automatically open the older ones in the new format; but I actually like the new plug better, having it all-in-one.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:45 PM

Agreed, but from what I am told, the delay plugin in 12 actually will open with settings from the old delay plugins, so its only us PT11 users that have to swap for the new plugin and enter the settings we want.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-03-2015, 01:01 PM

I'm still trying to figure out this need to open old sessions?? I make records, they are released, and then I make new ones, with new clients. I rarely go back to old sessions. And when I do, I (sometimes foolishly) think I can make it better anyway and end up changing all sorts of things.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Agreed, but from what I am told, the delay plugin in 12 actually will open with settings from the old delay plugins, so its only us PT11 users that have to swap for the new plugin and enter the settings we want.
You mean if I open a former PT10 session with "Long Delay" inserted, that it automatically instantiates Mod Delay III with the correct setting preserved? That's cool--although like Drew says, once you get past your transition projects, you're in the clear with the new plug, so no angst from there forward. Nice to hear, though. Ya never know!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
. And when I do, I (sometimes foolishly) think I can make it better anyway and end up changing all sorts of things.

Im glad I'm not the only one, it's like trying to perfect the wheel it just keeps getting rounder and rounder, better? Meh?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 AM

The different delay plugs were TDM load optimisation back in the day. Shorter delay plug demanded less DSP than extra long delay. There was a time you really needed to think about resources. Which is why there also was multiple EQ plugins. And which is why for example Sonnox EQ has different variants, including "filters only" version of their plugin.

Today, we can just forget that. Plenty of processing resources. Too bad backwards compatibility suffers, but that's called progress :)
Old 04-04-2015, 12:35 PM

hi Drew, the reason is this .. i have an opportunity to have a few songs, from a Record (CD) i worked on a few years ago, to be used as a Multi-track DEMO for a 5.1 system at a trade show - the tracks will live in a Joe Co blackbox Recorder / with PLayback Software feeding a Console via MADI - they want my mix to be able to push up faders to Unity and there it is (i mix like that so it should be fine - they can slap on whatever 2-bus processing they have in the console to show off that portion of the console).. assign some fun 5.1 (FX and such) .. they asked me for Dry Stems and FX Stems .. All i wanted to do was open the session and bounce out the FX stems .. has been an ordeal of re-loading PT10 on another 10.8.5 partition .. now i got the Extra Long Delay's for 2 tracks bounced out ..

BUT !!! it has opened another can of Worms .. Space .. (not TL Space) not working in 10.3.10 .. my session say SPACE is in the AAX plugin folder BUT i think it is because PT10 cannot access 64bit ONLY plugins .. ALSO: i believe when you get SPACE Avid takes your TL Space License, so now when I try and open an older session to get the REVERB stems SPACE is there but greyed out and TL Space cannot be authorized ..

YES, i can and probably will have to recreate the SPACE tracks .. Good Thing it is only a couple songs and not the entire Record

I was just trying to make my life easy this weekend .. a little BBQ and bouncing tracks out for this .. and been hours try to solve this already .. THX AVID .. can no one over there Think Ahead !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-04-2015, 12:55 PM

Makes sense. I suppose you can always come up with a reason NOT to progress, but as Janne pointed out, there were legitimate reasons for the change.

Hey, at least you're not having to recall an SSL console and reassemble all the outboard gear!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
I was just trying to make my life easy this weekend .. a little BBQ and bouncing tracks out for this .. and been hours try to solve this already .. THX AVID .. can no one over there Think Ahead !!!

cheers john
Actually now that I begin to see it in terms of lost BBQ time I think I see his point...!

cheers