Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2002, 08:49 PM

Default Using External A/D for 16 Bit Mix?

You've kept all your ins pristine. You've A/D'd with a class clock and convertor, maybe that Trak 2 or an ADI 8DS...The mix is cool and you can bring it out analog or digital, but it's in PT/PTLE at 24bits.

Now you have choices. Bounce to disk from PT/PTLE, put that cool new L2 software to work bouncing from PT/PTLE, or...Use your new toy with the UV22HR or that hardware with L2, cause everyone says it's what everyone uses...only one problem. Where do you go with it?

PT/PTLE is a one bit-rate session, so you can't come out 24, convert, then go back in at 16. Hmmm, I guess we can take it to the old Panasonic DAT, but then you've got to bring it back into a new PT/PTLE session at 16 bit (and then bounce to disk!).

What are you doing with your best mixes to keep all that quality you paid for (besides taking your 24 bit session to the mastering house...not cheating, of course), but what about for those one-offs where you still want the quality to see how that track sounds on a fresh CD in your car or that tweak stereo in the other room (or the boom box to see what others are gonna do to it)?

What will you do?

...J [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2002, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Using External A/D for 16 Bit Mix?

Whoa..easy! If it sounds good who cares...remember the average person thinks that MP3s sound great and 95% of everyone that works in the music industry is def (the other 5% are us engineers)
I make beats - Love that line
Old 09-07-2002, 09:18 PM

So how do you bounce, Bro DJ?

...J

...it's all about the sound...
Old 09-07-2002, 09:25 PM

lol... here at Crescent Moon I usually use the 9J or an 8000G and I alway print back to PT. After I throw L2 and get them nice and loud right at 0. I use the 16 Bit dither. Throw a little fade in the begining and end to kill some of the motors noise from the faders. Hit that bounce to disk and I like WAV cuz it so compatible with PC and Mac

At home I use my 03D effects and I mix stems as well as in protools and I always make sure I have an open stereo track and Print back into protools (digital In). Only at home I love my Maxims and Pre Max.. I put Ren EQ6 and roll off 20Hz and I usually give the mix 1 - 1.5 Db of some 10Khz and Up and then bounce to disk...

And to tell you the truth some of my mixes at home sound better then at the studio...It could be the fact that im limiting myself more...
Old 09-07-2002, 09:28 PM

..who am I kidding the 9000J and the HD make my mixes sound great...lol...I guess after all this time im trying to make myself believe I have a cool studio....

check out The Moon
Old 09-07-2002, 09:37 PM

Quote:
What are you doing with your best mixes to keep all that quality you paid for (besides taking your 24 bit session to the mastering house...not cheating, of course), but what about for those one-offs where you still want the quality to see how that track sounds on a fresh CD in your car or that tweak stereo in the other room (or the boom box to see what others are gonna do to it).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good question. Since I have an Apogee PSX-100, I wanted to take advantage of UV22HR but wasn't sure where to put the end result. I thought about getting a second computer just for that purpose.

Instead, I got an Alesis Masterlink. Hope it's all it claims to be.

Jasper
Old 09-07-2002, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PlugInJunky:

At home I use my 03D effects and I mix stems as well as in protools and I always make sure I have an open stereo track and Print back into protools (digital In). Only at home I love my Maxims and Pre Max.. I put Ren EQ6 and roll off 20Hz and I usually give the mix 1 - 1.5 Db of some 10Khz and Up and then bounce to disk...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thus, you only bounce to 16 from PT/PTLE with appropriate management (Plug-ins), keeping everything else at 24.

Have you ever considered doing the conversion to 16 outboard (Rosetta, Trak 2, Lucid, RME)? And if you did, where would you take the 16 bit file (you would be playing from a 24 bit PT/LE file and could not stereo the 16 conversion back in) until you could use it?

Just an alternative route...a lot of mastering houses use the UV22 stuff...are they using two DAWs? One for 24 out and one for 16 in?

How would you do an external 24 to 16?

...J
Old 09-07-2002, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jasperband:

Good question. Since I have an Apogee PSX-100, I wanted to take advantage of UV22HR but wasn't sure where to put the end result. I thought about getting a second computer just for that purpose.

Instead, I got an Alesis Masterlink. Hope it's all it claims to be.

Jasper
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm going to look at the Masterlink on Alesis' Site while awaiting the next post, how does the Masterlink solve the "using the UV22HR" puzzle?

...J
Old 09-07-2002, 09:55 PM

I forgot to add all my session are always 16 Bit 44.1K. So bouncing is usually fine and mostly accurate. Occasionally I do 24Bit 48K if I am going to be doing alot of live instrument tracking. However, I do allot of programming and my gear is all 16bit 44.1K except for my virus and nord..thats another beast all its own...but my MPC, Triton, Xl-1, and Orbit V3 is all 44.1K 16bit so I really keep the bit rate down to keep it griddy sounding. I purposely try to damage my tracks. Soundmodules sound so clean lately that the only way to dirt them up with the krazy plugins is just record them at krappy settings....
Old 09-07-2002, 10:01 PM

Just looked at Masterlink... Oh.

(Did I say that was cheating? I guess I said it was ok to send the 24's to the Mastering House, well I guess this Masterlink is a mastering house...It definitely solves the One-Off problem.)

Anybody have another possible solution to accomplish 24 to 16?

...J [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]