Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2020, 08:55 PM

Default Kontakt 6 in PT - unable to create Stereo outputs

That's another one - not sure if related to a bad romance between PT and NI...

As I want to use different outputs for different instruments (and different MIDI channels), I'm trying to create outputs in Kontakt 6 (latest, on KOMPLETE 12), selecting 2 channels, enable ascending output assignment, enabling clear existing channels and make default.

I just end up with surround channels. In the dropdown menu, I only see surround channels as options)...

I tried to create a brand new PT project, just in case it would be related to something in my existing project : it's the same.

Based on some excellent videos about NI in PT, everything seems straightforward, but this is not what I get.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Kontakt 6 in PT - unable to create Stereo outputs

Have you looked at the output configuration section in Kontakt? You could always create your own output.cfg file. Either read the Kontakt manual or do a Google search for how to create one. It's not easy but doable.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
That's another one - not sure if related to a bad romance between PT and NI...

As I want to use different outputs for different instruments (and different MIDI channels), I'm trying to create outputs in Kontakt 6 (latest, on KOMPLETE 12), selecting 2 channels, enable ascending output assignment, enabling clear existing channels and make default.

I just end up with surround channels. In the dropdown menu, I only see surround channels as options)...

I tried to create a brand new PT project, just in case it would be related to something in my existing project : it's the same.

Based on some excellent videos about NI in PT, everything seems straightforward, but this is not what I get.
I’ve had this happen. Have you instantiated the surround version of Kontakt instead of the stereo one?
Old 05-04-2020, 12:39 PM

I finally got it but... I have no sound at all now...

First, I was expecting to select from t he drop down (in KT) the type ...wher I was only seeing surround. Leaving it to ''not selected'' finally gave me the 16 Stereo outputs.

Now, assigning 4 tracks to 4 instruments in KT, I also assign:

Instrument 1, MIDI channel 1, St Output 1
Ins 2, MIDI 2, St Output 2,
and so on... as most videos suggest.

I see signal both in the KT rack, as well as on the PT corresponding track when I hit notes on the external USB keyboard. But no sound comes out !... (Yes my volume is up on the audio interface :) ...
Old 05-04-2020, 01:49 PM

After you after you setup your outputs in Kontakt you need to save it and restart your Pro Tools session.

Then everything should work.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-04-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
After you after you setup your outputs in Kontakt you need to save it and restart your Pro Tools session.

Then everything should work.
I've done that as well... Will retry just in case and post back.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:40 AM

Anyone ? I'm still stucked with no sound coming out...
Old 05-06-2020, 09:44 AM

Open Kontakt standalone, check your output.cfg setup, close Kontakt. Start PT and see what happens with Kontakt. Oftentimes when doing things in Kontakt it helps to open it in standalone and then open in PT.

QAPLA!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Open Kontakt standalone, check your output.cfg setup, close Kontakt. Start PT and see what happens with Kontakt. Oftentimes when doing things in Kontakt it helps to open it in standalone and then open in PT.
Not sure what to do once there, but I replaced the agregate PT audio by Universal Audio Apollo x4, just in case....

It really becomes ridiculous: all meters show signal, I can even record midi data (which I can't hear of course...)

I'm following exactly this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DMdshUM2D4 (until 1:30, I don't even care at this point about adding FX there). My screen looks exactly as this, with output 1-2 like it shows, ascending MIDI channels corresponding to Stereo outputs sent to PT inputs. No damn sound!

Any other instrument (else than NI) such as those of Cubase and PT in a project are working. Why am I rushing so much with NI ?

In other projects, all on same MIDI channel and ''no input'' I can hear, but of course instruments competing on same MIDI channel just don't work correctly, so this is why I want to make it correctly.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
Not sure what to do once there, but I replaced the agregate PT audio by Universal Audio Apollo x4, just in case....

It really becomes ridiculous: all meters show signal, I can even record midi data (which I can't hear of course...)

I'm following exactly this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DMdshUM2D4 (until 1:30, I don't even care at this point about adding FX there). My screen looks exactly as this, with output 1-2 like it shows, ascending MIDI channels corresponding to Stereo outputs sent to PT inputs. No damn sound!

Any other instrument (else than NI) such as those of Cubase and PT in a project are working. Why am I rushing so much with NI ?

In other projects, all on same MIDI channel and ''no input'' I can hear, but of course instruments competing on same MIDI channel just don't work correctly, so this is why I want to make it correctly.
Are you sure you're doing it exactly like the video? Assigning ascending MIDI channels in PT? Then assigning the audio inputs on other than the instrument track holding Kontakt to the additional audio outputs from Kontakt? I know the procedure works because I just tried it on my system that's listed on my profile page. When you dropped the aggregate audio setup did you make sure the Apollo was selected as the audio interface? You are using all stereo instrument channels right?

QAPLA!