Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 AM

Default Recording Noise

I have an MBox 2 and an Intel Mac mini. I couple of days ago I my protools began to make a really high pitched noise, it almost sounds like computer noise (i.e. the noise a PC makes when your not playing anything and you just turn the volume way up). Sometimes is happens when I open ProTools, but most of the time it happens when I record enable a track. I thought that the noise may just be a fluke but it also gets onto whatever you record. Now here's the kicker, when I go to change the buffer size the noise stops, but as soon as I hit ok the noise starts right back up again so I'm thinking its a software issue. I've search a thread before with this same problem and I'll tell you what I tried to do to troubleshoot.

1. I use the exact USB cable the MBox 2 came with

2. I turned off the screen saver AND sleep function

3. I have the most recent version of protools (meaning I downloaded the new joints off digidesign)

You could chalk it up to being a problem with the new intels, but I had the exact same problem with a mac mini that I had before but somehow or another I got rid of it, I just can't remember what I did.

SOMEBODY HELP, this is really cramping my style

Art
Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Recording Noise

Hi there.

Strange but I´m happy to read you´re post. You´re not alone suffering from that B2 note.
However, I use Logic and MBox2 instead of Protools and MBox2.
I personally don´t think it has anything to do with settings and software. Tried the troubleshooting as well but without success.
I can´t hear the noise through headphones plugged into MBox2 which means it probably has something to do with the
power (electricity) and those cables/connections. Still trying to figure it out. Will let you know if I success.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Recording Noise

I think I got it out. Everything going in and coming out of the the M Box cable wise needs to be balance. All inputs and outputs. Lemme know if it worked for you guys because it worked for me.