Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-14-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Boot Problem with OS9

Hi,

I have experienced a strange boot problem with my B/W G3/1GB Ram/PT 5.1.1/ Mixplus System which is configed as dual boot with OS X on the same drive as OS9. When the computer freezes (which is luckily not often) and I have to reboot the Mac by pressing the button on the machine itself on new startup no OS will boot. The Mac just stays with the "grinning face" forever...If I reboot without a System Freeze before from OS 9 everythings just fine...

I hope someone can help since booting up from CD after a freeze can't be a final solution...

Thanks and all the best,

Markus
Old 01-14-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Boot Problem with OS9

you have a bad hard drive. check your jumpers. I had this same problem till I got some new drives. even after reinstalling on my old drive it never fixerd that issie. check jumpers, etc.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:56 AM

Hi,

thanks alot for the answer! What exactly do you mean by "check jumpers"...where should jumpers be etc.? Can you be a little specific...

Thanks alot.

Markus
Old 01-14-2005, 10:10 AM

The jumper are on the hard drive, next to the IDE connector. They are labeled CS, SL, MA. The jumper should be on MA for master. This article is in french, but the pictures are pictures:

http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=26

Also Have you tried to run DiskWarrior? It will help if the problem is bad directory structure.

JC
Old 01-15-2005, 07:27 AM

Hi,

thanks all for the comments. The problem hasn't disappeared and it makes me sorta nervous.
I checked the drive with Norton Disk Doctor - first time it quit unexpected and second time the drive seems fine... Jumpers are fine too, if they weren't wouldn't the Mac have problems finding the drive on a normal boot as well? I get the idea it is because of OSX which is not even on a different partition of the drive (I didn't install it myself!). Is there a safe and good way to deinstall OSX from OS9? Is it just trashing OSX System and Applications Folder or is there more to it?

Please help and thanks alot,
Old 01-15-2005, 09:55 AM

To remove OS X from OS 9, delete the Applications, Library, System, and Users folder at the root level of the hard drive. Note that this will take a while, so get a cup of coffee.

I wouldn't use Norton Disk Doctor on a disk with OS X files. The OS X version is evil, which makes me suspect the OS 9 version when looking at OS X files and the such isn't much better. You may also want to try TechTool Pro.

I doubt the drive jumpers are the problem. If they were, you wouldn't be able to boot at all, because you would have a master/slave conflict on your ATA bus.