Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM

Default VI migration question

I have about fifteen go-to VI's in PT7.4 that need to start streaming from my newly purchased external VI dedicated hard drive. All VI's currently reside on my main Mac audio drive. I know I need to port them over but I'm terrified that I'll lose settings or worse...is there a tried and true method for migration?

Also, whenever I try to install a new VI, OSX 10.4 does not allow me to select my new firewire external as a destination drive. I can however save PT sessions and stream audio tracks from it just fine. I just don't know enough about macs to fix this.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM

Default Re: VI migration question

The only VIs that you should be worried about moving are the ones that have large-ish sample libraries. In my case that would be BFD, Xpand, and anything for Structure le... Even so, the application still gets installed on the system drive in most cases..

What VI's are you talking about
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Default Re: VI migration question

Thanks for the help. I do have Structure LE, Strike, Transfuser, Xpand, Loungelizzard, Korg Digital edition (Wavestation and M-1), Guitar Rig 2.5, Rapture, and Albino and a few others but I see what your saying, the sample intensive ones are more suspect. Interestingly when I bring up a session with a huge VI load, PT will error out a few times while playing through once but after that it will play all passes with no hiccups. It's almost like it has to "learn" what I'm asking it to do and then its fine. My Imac's memory is maxed out at 4GB.