How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 11-23-2020, 02:04 AM

Default Save Copy In misses audio

Hi.

When I build a project for a client, I always have 2 versions:

1 - the master. This is where I throw in tons and tons of audio, and edit accordingly.
2 - backup version of the mix, sent to the client. To create this file, I do a "Save Copy In" from the master, keeping only the files which are actually used in the session (the resulting file size is way smaller than the master).

But then, just to test this backup, I open it. I am then prompted with a message saying that some audio files are missing. I can easily point them to the files in the master session, and it relinks every time. But why is this happening? I was under the impression that "Save Copy In" should literally be duplicating all of the audio that's used in my session, and therefore I should not be getting a prompt for missing files.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2020, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Save Copy In misses audio

You need to provide some, any clear information about your setup.

Your signature is a mess, Pro Tools 10? But you are posting in a 2019 forum area? macOS or Windows and what exact version are you using? What exact version of Pro Tools? What drives are the sessions on? vs. where you are saving. What is the filesystem type of those drive? Is all your audio content in the session folder for your initial working session?

Anything unusual about the files that turn up missing? Are they in the same subfolder/location? Different than other files?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-23-2020 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You need to provide some, any clear information about your setup.

Your signature is a mess, Pro Tools 10? But you are posting in a 2019 forum area? macOS or Windows and what exact version are you using? What exact version of Pro Tools? What drives are the sessions on? vs. where you are saving. What is the filesystem type of those drive? Is all your audio content in the session folder for your initial working session?

Anything unusual about the files that turn up missing? Are they in the same subfolder/location? Different than other files?
In addition to this^^^^, what are the session settings for sample rate and bit depth? (I ask as I have seen issues like this at 96K, but not at 48K).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-24-2020, 03:30 PM

You don't explain just how you go about creating this slimmed down version of the session.

Here's how I did it since the dawn of time:
Save.
Delete unwanted tracks and playlists.
"Select all unused clips" (in clip-bin menu) including whole-files, in the clip bin, and remove them.
Save a session copy. Including audio files.
Close session without saving.
The new session should not ask for missing audio, as they are not in the clip bin.