Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2020, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

I just received an email from Eventide they will release a Pro Tools HD/HDX expansion card for their H9000.

As mentioned in the mail :

This new user-installable expansion card allows Pro Tools HDX and HD Native users to connect their H9000 or H9000R via its Primary DigiLink port—adding up to 32 channels. It can alternatively be daisy-chained with other Pro Tools interfaces via the Secondary DigiLink port with the included 12' mini-Digilink cable.

Seems like seamless integration with 3rd party “dsp”.

Last edited by Padje; 11-07-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padje View Post
I just received an email from Eventide they will release a Pro Tools HD/HDX expansion card for their H9000.

This new user-installable expansion card allows Pro Tools HDX and HD Native users to connect their H9000 or H9000R via its Primary DigiLink port—adding up to 32 channels. It can alternatively be daisy-chained with other Pro Tools interfaces via the Secondary DigiLink port with the included 12' mini-Digilink cable.

If that’s the DSP solution it wouldn’t be a big step, just audio connection of a third party device.
Avid hasn’t come across with much innovation lately so let’s hope for the best...
Old 11-08-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
with dsp sys you are able to record many tracks with no latency and at the same time you can set the hw buffer to a high level for having lots of native processing on the no rec armed tracks.

what? Dual buffers have been a thing for years. Since Pro Tools 11 or 12, it was a big selling point of moving to AAX? I haven't changed my PCIe RayDAT from 128 buffer in 5 years. Because it operates at 1204 with non-record enabled tracks, and 128 on record-enabled tracks. I don't see how DSP makes this possible any more than a regular system.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 11-08-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
what? Dual buffers have been a thing for years. Since Pro Tools 11 or 12, it was a big selling point of moving to AAX? I haven't changed my PCIe RayDAT from 128 buffer in 5 years. Because it operates at 1204 with non-record enabled tracks, and 128 on record-enabled tracks. I don't see how DSP makes this possible any more than a regular system.
I'm saying that with a dsp sys all armed tracks will have a very small I/O latency (assuming that you use only dsp plugins on them) regardless of how the buffer is set. About the dual buffer introduced with PT11 there were lots of discussions at that time. If the playback buffer is always at 1024 why my poor old machine goes to its limit when I set the hw buffer to a low setting with no armed tracks? And when is set at 1024 it works comfortable? Maybe it could be related to a dsp sys that when using native plugins on busses and master tracks this dual buffer does not work? BTW with a dsp sys you could record dozen of tracks with dsp plugins inserted with no latency (apart from the plugin latency itself). In a native sys when you arm tracks with plugins on them they will work at the buffer you have set. I'm not here to defend the dsp sys, I know that it is a old technology and maybe it will not be renewed. I'm just saying the advantage (today maybe the only one) compared to the native.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Speak for yourself! Native RME PCIe latency is unreal even with many many plug ins. Haven't needed a DSP based solution to record sessions in all styles and genres for almost 10 years personally so no need for DSP. In fact I've only ran into limitations when operating HDX systems in terms of not being able to track through native plugins, and strange delays with simple routing through auxes I use with no issue natively on my RME rig. Same reason I wasn't interested in UAD. There's just nothing so mindblowing that can be done on UAD that can't be done natively IMO. I'm not a stickler for 'the best' emulations of stuff.

Dark mode looks fine though.
You can track through native plug ins with HDX if you put a DSP plug in before the native one. I put in the Avid EQ in the first slot and leave the EQ curve flat, then Overloud TH-U in the second, and now I can track guitars with the TH-U in real time. I guess it "tricks" Pro Tools into processing the entire insert FX chain.
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
You can track through native plug ins with HDX if you put a DSP plug in before the native one. I put in the Avid EQ in the first slot and leave the EQ curve flat, then Overloud TH-U in the second, and now I can track guitars with the TH-U in real time. I guess it "tricks" Pro Tools into processing the entire insert FX chain.
..out of curiosity, how many samples latency does the channel report if you do that?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 11-08-2020, 12:39 PM

Hopefully, they’ll finally give us the option for Input FX recording like what Reaper, Cubase, and Studio One have had for a while.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
You can track through native plug ins with HDX if you put a DSP plug in before the native one.
Doesn't that eat up more voices?
Old 11-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost219 View Post
Hopefully, they’ll finally give us the option for Input FX recording like what Reaper, Cubase, and Studio One have had for a while.
That may be it actually, I mean, what that lighting button is.
So you wouldn't have to create an aux track before your track anymore in order to track through plugins.
That said, I never track through plugins. I've never really seen the point.
I'll track with plugins inserted on the track(s) sometimes, but never through them.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padje View Post

Looking into H9000R with Digi-Link .....would like to know if I can use A/D D/A's like a 192 interface...?

Avid is so far behind....