Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2001, 01:27 PM

Default MIDI window separate from audio

Here's an idea that has been chasing me for a while: I find that the layout of the edit window works very well for audio files, since all editing happens in a graphic mode, however I so often wish that the MIDI tracks were on an optionally separate window, appearing as a list. Naturally, any and all tracks may be graphically or notationally or eventually (MIDI events) edited. The only advantage of working with two separate programs is exactly that it keeps audio and MIDI distinctively and respectively integrated.

------------------
Marco Marinangeli
Magelic Productions, Inc.
Compression Records
http://www.compressionrecords.com
http://www.compressionrecords.com
Old 02-05-2001, 06:33 PM

Default Re: MIDI window separate from audio

Amen. Trying to edit midi in a track is horrible - you just end up making all the tracks as big as possible. I'd kill to be able to double click a track and get a window that just has the one track full screen.

Mike
Old 02-06-2001, 03:16 AM

A Marco ciai raggione....

------------------
www.downinhollywood.com
Old 02-06-2001, 10:45 AM

Amen is right. I sure hope someone is listening...
Old 02-06-2001, 11:06 AM

Yep another vote for a separate midi window. I am sure that as PT midi gets more in line with the Logic / DP functionality it will become a must.

Simon
Old 02-06-2001, 01:43 PM

I'm with that. A single click to get to a full screen note editor sounds good. And how about a single click which changes ALL tracks to the smallest (or biggest) size at the same time. And being able to change all Midi tracks to the same editing function (notes/pitchbend/regions etc...) at the same time would be useful for me.

Also (maybe this is possible already and I havent figured it out yet), is it possible to edit note lengths by selecting them and using for example +/- for larger increments and </> for small ones.

And can the notes on the edit screen light up as they are played from an external keyboard

Cheers

----------
Nocturnal
Old 02-06-2001, 02:03 PM

I thought that 5.1 had some feature that allowed a single key zoom on a track? Wouldn't that do it?

This thread is interesting because one of the first things I noticed when I started using PT was the tight integration of midi and audio. It is so difficult (in Cubase, for instance) to try to align midi notes with audio waveforms because you can't see them on the same screen. They ONLY appear in separate windows (at a useful resolution).

Nudging a midi note to align with an audio hit is visually easy when you've got the two tracks next to each other and zoomed.

I what situation would you find a separate window useful? Is it simply to "sort" the tracks by function (audio or midi)?

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-07-2001, 08:47 AM

"I what situation would you find a separate window useful?"

The tracks are simply too small to work in. You end up enlarging tracks to work on them - since there's no key command for this, it's a HUGE time waster. Editing the midi isn't so bad, it just takes such a long time to get the track you want at a resolution where you can see it. With multiple windows, it's much quicker in apps like Logic - double click the track you want to edit, bam it's full screen, close the window when you're done.

Mike
Old 02-07-2001, 10:56 AM

In 5.1 you will be able to hit the "E" key in focus mode and it will zoom in and expand the track[s] to the Large view. It's a start!

------------------
[email protected]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>The Greatest Risk in Life is Doing Nothing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-08-2001, 02:25 AM

A seperate window where you can edit (several)selected midi tracks is THE N°1 feature I miss.
Groove Quantize might be number 2.
and....just check cubase or logic