Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 12:39 AM

Default Edit window grabs cursor ??

After upgrading from 10.3.9 / 6.9.1 to 10.4.6 with 7.1cs8 I now find that whilst audio is playing and i click the cursor in the edit window to change playback position that the cursor hangs on to the "click" from the mouse and selects a section of audio for looping ! i can't just click quickly in a spot to get the song to start playback from that position without it selecting a area (while i move my mouse) even though i am not holding on to the button... it basically holds on for a second or so and unless i click without moving my mouse at all !

Very strange... does anyone else have this problem ? is this a known bug ?

I'm running a DP 1.25 G4, could that be the problem ?

please help, this is unuseable for any sort of editing speed...

cheers
Old 07-29-2006, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Edit window grabs cursor ??

Hi,

I noticed the same thing when i upgraded to Tiger and PT7, i have to be a bit slower and more precise now otherwise it will do as you say and make a selection the length of how far you drag the mouse!

Digi? did you change the click hold time responce!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 AM

I have exactly the same problem - usually clicking in the timeline, I end up selecting a bunch of stuff i don't want to, as i drag the cursor away.
It always seems like the PT edit window is a few milliseconds behind what i'm doing - this is on a dual 2.5gHz G5...

To be honest, the PT GUI is still pretty laggy compared to the other major sequencers [except Digital Performer - man is that slow or what?]
Old 07-29-2006, 01:32 AM

I have to throw in another post here... I have exactly the same problem. I've been working around it for some time now but it would certainly be a better feeling to have a SNAPPY interface.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:47 AM

Hi...
Same here quite often. I think, it happens to make a very short selection instead of just putting the cursor without selecting anything.
Only workaround so far is either work with markers or clicking several times to get it right....

best from germany

Hanz Marathon
Old 07-29-2006, 02:47 AM

Hi...
Same here quite often. I think, it happens to make a very short selection instead of just putting the cursor without selecting anything.
Only workaround so far is either work with markers or clicking several times to get it right....

best from germany

Hanz Marathon
Old 07-29-2006, 05:57 PM

OKay so i'm not alone ! .. whoa this bug really makes Pro Tools an editing slug .. Looks like even G5 users have the same problem... plus i have noticed that my cpu sometimes goes crazy... maybe there's some real CPU efficiency issues in PT 7 ?
This is strange, i thought Digi had a real reputation of not releasing software until it is rock solid... 7 just doesn't cut it as a workable tool compared to 6.9 IMHO..

Digi, can you please advise what a workaround is or if there will be an update that sees our V7 software performing at least as well as V6.9 ... I've spent a lot of $$$ upgrading plugins etc after reading all the claims of a better engine on the website.. this is misleading and has cost me mega bucks...
Old 07-30-2006, 01:33 PM

WELL It's such a relief to know that I'm not ALONE! It hardly seems worth it to have to upgrade to a G5 and of course have to buy a chassis to fit my cards, just so I can later discover that the many issues with PT7 will be still there to make me miserable!
Just the sticky mouse thing alone is enough to make you wanna pull your hair out!!! Is anything being done about this??
Or are they depending the massive speed of the G5 to compensate for their lack of making a program that is as processor efficient as 6.9?

DIGI ... ISN'T SOFTWARE SUPPOSED TO IMPROVE FROM VERSION TO VERSION???? SHOULD MY UPGRADE TO PT7 COST ME just $175?? IN REALITY IT WILL COST $5175 AFTER I BUY A G5 AND A CHASSIS??? SOMETHING SEEMS VERY WRONG WITH THAT!!
PLEASE MAKE PT7 MORE PROCESSOR EFFICIENT..
SHOULDNT IT BE AT LEAST SOMEWHAT SNAPPIER USING THE DUAL PROCESSOR OPTION?

PLEASE PUT THESE THREADS TOGETHER...
HERE
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Avid

We are looking into this.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
We are looking into this.

Ok DIGI...did you find anything? THAT REPLY WAS 2 WEEKS AGO. Also, I'm hoping everything is fixed in 7.2. I just upgraded 7.0 for $175 ... do I have to pay another $199 to use 7.2 or is this waived? I couldn't even use 7.1 with it's sluggish feel. It made me want to rip my hair out.