Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-01-2000, 08:13 PM

Default Mezzo/PT5?

Yeah, I finally took the 5.0 plunge...gotta say, the new screen hurts my eyes, even after I got rid of all the extraneous bells and whistles (like, WHY did they have to replace those tidy little region separations with these big ol' black lines...makes my beautiful waveforms all but disappear...likewise making the region names big and bold everywhere...), and will now bite the bullet and re-learn all those little chores that have become automatic. Kind of like driving in England in an American car...and with the gas and clutch pedal reversed...or some such.

Anyway, the Q. is this...I've heard nast reports regarding some sort of an incompatibility with Mezzo. Is this just with OS9/G4, or is it with PT 5?

Curious minds want to know...

------------------
Eric Bazilian/Dingbat Sound
"Music Is Good"
Old 04-01-2000, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Mezzo/PT5?

Hey Eric,

I've been using 5.0 since January and as you know, I am a Mezzo user. I have not had anything bad happen (that I am aware of) backing up 5.0 sessions. I am still using my 9600 with an NT 466 CPU and running OS 8.6. What have you heard concerning Mezzo and 5.0?

I agree with you about the thick black outlines with regions. An overzealous code writer went too far with that addition. Digi should give us an option not to use them. I like cutting every beat and quantizing drums and the thick black lines consume the the big picture.

There are so many things I love about 5.0 (now that I am used to it), that I can't imagine going back to 4.3.2.

There are rumours of a RAM leak. I have had strange things happen when I'm about 8 hours into a session that have hinted to this. The main thing is that "slip" mode starts acting like "grid" mode. The way to stop this is to reboot PT's.

Any comments Digi?

Take care Eric....you da man.
Old 04-02-2000, 08:45 AM

Hey there,
I've been using PT5.0 on my 9600/300,OS 8.6 with mezzo for a few months now, and it's working like a dream.
In regards to PT5.0, one of the guys at work is still using 4.3, I looked at it the other day, and it made me realize how much better PT 5.0 is....I could never go back.

cheers

Ramesh

Old 04-02-2000, 11:18 AM

It's boring opening blank tracks just to see the beat grid nearby what you want to edit, why can't the grid overlay onto the waveform, why is it obscured by it?

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 04-02-2000, 05:37 PM

There is an incompatibility with os9 and Mezzo - I think an update is available from them (challenge only at this point). Give them a call.
Old 04-02-2000, 10:10 PM

Found this at their site: www.mezzogmr.com
G4 and OS9 users: Mezzo 3.6.2 (or older) is not compatible with either of these newer items. We are working on an update that should be available soon. Look for 3.6.3 or newer to be on our web site very soon.
I hope they make this upgrade free of charge because I do not want to pay another 500 bucks so I can use it with OS 9.
Old 04-03-2000, 12:54 AM

Hey Eric-
I've been using Mezzo/PT 5, sys 8.6, for some time with no problems. I don't think there are any 5.0/Mezzo- specific issues.

John Anthony
MAJA AudioGroup
PhilaPA
Old 04-03-2000, 01:35 AM

Thanks, all (no, Pat, YOU da man...). I just tried to back up my first 5.0 session and, wonder of wonders, she's a no-go. So I look at my Mezzo and it's 3.6, you can imagine my relief at coming in here at this ungodly (though, for me, all too common) hour and finding 3.6.2 on the Mezzo website. Downloading as we speak. Wish me luck...

BTW, I AM getting used to 5.0, though a) it is a tad slower (esp. calculating fades, for some odd reason) and 2) I STILL don't like those big black lines between regions.

Hey, Pat, what IS it you like better about 5.0?

------------------
Eric Bazilian/Dingbat Sound
"Music Is Good"
Old 04-03-2000, 07:57 AM

Eric
Once you get 3.6.2 from Mezzo you will be ok. However, If you move up to or are using OS9 you have to get the latest version of Mezzo which is only seems to be available if you call them to get it. They send you a CD then you have to get a challange code from them. After that it works really well.

Thanks
Mark
Brass Sail Recording
Old 04-03-2000, 10:14 AM

I could never get Mezzo to work! (9600/350, PT 4.3.1 and PT5, OS 8.5.1 and 8.6). We tried everything. Even their tech couldn't figure it out. So we tried Retrospect...guess what?
It worked, first attempt. So if you can't get your Mezzo system to work, you may want to give Retrospect a shot.