Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 AM

Default Pro tools 8, pentium 4 3ghz, too low spec?

Hi,

I am quite new to using pro tools, managed to borrow a copy off my cousin and just getting to grips I with it.. My only real problem is the low spec of my computer, all I want it for is to demo ideas, guitar and drum programming. But it's getting lagy when I use ezdrummer, any less CPU heavy plugins people know of?. I'm recording guitar straight in with pedals so no need for plugins on those tracks. Am I severely underpowered or should I try mucking around with buffer speed etc? Any one else using pro tools on such an old computer?

Thankyou

William
Old 09-09-2014, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 8, pentium 4 3ghz, too low spec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culturebunkerrecordings View Post
Hi,

I am quite new to using pro tools, managed to borrow a copy off my cousin and just getting to grips I with it.. My only real problem is the low spec of my computer, all I want it for is to demo ideas, guitar and drum programming. But it's getting lagy when I use ezdrummer, any less CPU heavy plugins people know of?. I'm recording guitar straight in with pedals so no need for plugins on those tracks. Am I severely underpowered or should I try mucking around with buffer speed etc? Any one else using pro tools on such an old computer?

Thankyou

William
First off let's all hope you're doing what you're doing legally - is he loaning you his Avid interface or iLok so you can use PT? Only one user is allowed to use one copy of PT at a time.

Getting back to the original question: yes your computer is way underpowered for doing anything with PT. Would suggest using that old P4 as an internet computer, word processor and nothing more.

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:24 AM

Ok, well, yes I am doing it legally as he uses ableton and found pro tools redundant so lent it to me. Pretty impossible to do anything illegal when it comes to pro tools anyway..

It will run on my computer and as I only want about three tracks running it's not too much of a problem as long as I keep the plugins to a minimum. Just wanted to get to grips with the pro tools daw really..

If you can recommend some low powered plugins that would be really appreciated and any tips on how I can get better performance would also be great.

Thanks for your response anyhow.

William
Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 AM

It is pro tools 8 I am using :)
Old 09-09-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Ok, well, yes I am doing it legally as he uses ableton and found pro tools redundant so lent it to me. Pretty impossible to do anything illegal when it comes to pro tools anyway..

It will run on my computer and as I only want about three tracks running it's not too much of a problem as long as I keep the plugins to a minimum. Just wanted to get to grips with the pro tools daw really..

If you can recommend some low powered plugins that would be really appreciated and any tips on how I can get better performance would also be great.

Thanks for your response anyhow.

William
Doesn't matter the amount of tracks. PT is a power hungry program on it's own without any third party plugins. How much ram do you have? 4 gig at a minimum and you're going to need a separate hard drive for PT to record to. Anything less and that's going to handicap you big time especially with as low powered a system as you have. What version of Windows are you running?

Bottom line is the machine you have will only give you heartburn and disappointment which is the last thing you want when you're trying to learn PT.

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 AM

Thanks, just looked up the thing about a separate harddrive for audio so that seems sensible. I installed 4 gigs of ram but somehow it comes up As 3.3gigs when I look it up on the system..
Old 09-09-2014, 07:04 AM

I am running windows 7, just found the 'playback engine' settings which I can muck around with a bit. One day I'll find the money for a new pc but in the meantime all I can do is make the best of what I have, I do have a much more powerful one in my home studio out of town but just running reaper on that system. I'm no stranger to recording and high spec gear just a bit short of change at the moment so looking to maximise what I already have..
Old 09-09-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks, just looked up the thing about a separate harddrive for audio so that seems sensible. I installed 4 gigs of ram but somehow it comes up As 3.3gigs when I look it up on the system..
If you are running 32 bit Windows, then this is normal. This machine would likely run better with XP

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-10-2014, 08:46 AM

Hi thanks for your response, will the full 4 gigs then be available? I have a copy of xp to hand think xp is also 32bit though.. My copy of windows 7 has both 32 and 64 bit.

Thankyou!

Any other tips to things running smoothER
Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Hi thanks for your response, will the full 4 gigs then be available? I have a copy of xp to hand think xp is also 32bit though.. My copy of windows 7 has both 32 and 64 bit.

Thankyou!

Any other tips to things running smoothER
No; that 3.3 gig is the max addressable under a 32 bit Windows operating system. It's just that XP will be a better fit with that low powered system you have.

QAPLA!