Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1341  
Old 07-13-2008, 04:44 PM
mano111 mano111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,267
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Hey great computer builders of the DUC!!!! Looks like the quads are strikingly intense still. I know mine is.

I accidentally spilled some beer on my desk and a fair amount spilled over onto the front area of my computer case and I lost 2 USB ports and now the start button is getting very sticky and I'm afraid its going soon. I was wondering if this case right here is a good investment as I should probably order it soon so I don't lose much time. Thanks for the input fellas.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81820

P.S. As a side not I have 3, 1 GB sticks of Ram now and am running Windows SP3 and Pro-Tools and Reason are running fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 (BX80562Q6600) 2.4GHZ EM64T QUAD CORE W/4MB X 2 CACHE 1066MHZ LGA775-PIN RETAIL BOXED W/COOLING FAN

2. ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP INTEL P35 CHIPSET ATX FORM FACTOR 2xPCI-E(X16)/2xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2 RAID,DUAL LAN(Gb),1394,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775)

3. Crucial Ballistix 3GB (3 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz 240-pin DDR2 Memory

4. SEAGATE 250GB ST3250410AS SATA2 16MB 7200RPM (Bare drive) x2

5. ASUS EAX1600PRO SILENT/TD/256M Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card(discontinued)

6. Corsair 520W SLI Certified Modular ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-520HX

7. SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - OEM

8. XP Home Edition SP2-OEM------> Now have SP3 installed

The P182 is a great case. I personally preffer the Antec SOLO. Its smaller, and more quiet right out of the box (with no modding hat is )
It also cost less.
If yo are using a passive video card you may want to add a low speed 92mm fan for intake

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=18500
__________________
i7 2600K @ 4.4GHZ -- Intel DP67BG B3 -- 8GB DDR3 1600 -- Crucial SSD
PTLE 8.0.4cs2 -- DIGI 003R -- DV toolkit -- Waves 9
Reply With Quote
  #1342  
Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 PM
lowroller lowroller is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 10
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

The moment of truth...

I've done the 3GB switch and the first time 'round I forgot to put the / in front of LARGEADDRESSAWARE. No wonder it wasn't working.

So I did that step again and all seems to be working very well.. I was a little nervous loading a full layered kit in BFD without being in 16 bit mode, heh, but it loaded PF usage in Windows Task Manager tells me I'm at 1.69GB with the ProTools session I'm running (1.5GB for the BFD samples I guess).

Thanks heaps for the heads up with this. This machine is living up to expectations now
Reply With Quote
  #1343  
Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 AM
mykhal c's Avatar
mykhal c mykhal c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: san fran
Posts: 4,355
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
The moment of truth...

I've done the 3GB switch and the first time 'round I forgot to put the / in front of LARGEADDRESSAWARE. No wonder it wasn't working.

So I did that step again and all seems to be working very well.. I was a little nervous loading a full layered kit in BFD without being in 16 bit mode, heh, but it loaded PF usage in Windows Task Manager tells me I'm at 1.69GB with the ProTools session I'm running (1.5GB for the BFD samples I guess).

Thanks heaps for the heads up with this. This machine is living up to expectations now
glad you got things dialed in
__________________
bassist...deep pocketz anyone???!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Reply With Quote
  #1344  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
JPS JPS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowroller View Post
This machine is living up to expectations now
lowroller, I put together a self-built DAW that is similar to yours... and I am very impressed. Mine also is definately living up to expectations!

Here are the basis specs:

Gibabyte GA-EP35-DS3P ($95)
Q6600 - GO stepping ($189)
Xigmatek S1283 Cooler ($35)
LIANLI|PC-7B PLUS II BLK ($89)
GSkill DDR2 1056 2GB ($59)
PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-450VX ($79)
VGA ASUS EAH3450/HTP/512M RT ($43)
DVD BURN LITE-ON|LH-20A1L-06 ($34)
Western Digital HD 320G SATA2 WD3200AAKS ($70)

I am very pleased with the motherboard performance. The Gigabyte motherboards do have DPC Latency"spikes" issues, but they were fixed on this board with the F4c Bios. Latency is great at 4-8ms and No spikes! The integrated onboard firewire ports work fine with PTLE and it's nice to know Gigabyte uses the Texas Instruments chipset, which is the chipset in the Digi recommended firewire cards. The mobo also comes with a eSATA PCI card, which may be nice for recording on drives without installing them in the system.

Overclocking? Oh yeah... it looked like a lot of fun and I wanted to join in...and the results are way out there! The board has a heat pipe on the North bridge to help keep things a little cooler. I've never overclocked before but this board makes it easy with an automatic voltage control option. Sweet!

Anyway, the setup is very stable at stock settings and has produced no errors, other than the expected -9129 Out of CPU power.

Results:
D-Verbs at 2.4 ghz= 255
D-Verbs at 3.6 ghz= 360

No, that's not a typo and I was pretty surprized I was able to hit 3.6. Of, course, I don't plan on leaving it there, it's a little too toasty at 61C. Perhaps a more mild 3.2 ghz, which is very stable, reboots fine and still produces a very usable 325 D-Verbs. Oh, all the options...

As Sunburst mentioned, I was quite concerned I might fall under the 315 D-Verbs.

Anyway, this has been a lot of fun putting this together and testing it. And I am sooooooo glad I didn't go with a Dell. This setup is very quiet, powerful and lots of extra power, if needed. The only thing I might have done different is to buy the Patriot DDR2 1150 memory. Based on my testing it would get me about another 12 or so D-Verbs.

My old P4 2.8 ghz Norwood CPU got me 24 D-Verbs in a ASUS P4C800 motherboard. The Q6600 has 10x the processing power. Got to love those quads!

Edit on 7-27-08:
D-Verbs at 2.4 ghz= 235
D-Verbs at 3.42 ghz= 325
Test Results were edited because the original test was not conducted at 24/48. A new test was conducted at the correct setup 24bit/48K and produced the above edited results. Sorry for the mistake.
__________________
John-Q6600,GA-EP35-DS3P, Zigmatec S1283: 235 D-Verbs @ 2.4 ghz

Last edited by JPS; 07-21-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: to add additional descriptions
Reply With Quote
  #1345  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM
mykhal c's Avatar
mykhal c mykhal c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: san fran
Posts: 4,355
Default

congrats john. excellent scores!!!
__________________
bassist...deep pocketz anyone???!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Reply With Quote
  #1346  
Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 PM
JPS JPS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
congrats john. excellent scores!!!
Thanks, mykhal

It was you and all the other quad guys that gave me the psychlogical boost to do this. You guys took the chance and did the work to make sure they worked correctly with PTLE, and I got the benefit. And I do appreciate it! Thanks.
__________________
John-Q6600,GA-EP35-DS3P, Zigmatec S1283: 235 D-Verbs @ 2.4 ghz
Reply With Quote
  #1347  
Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
mykhal c's Avatar
mykhal c mykhal c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: san fran
Posts: 4,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Thanks, mykhal

It was you and all the other quad guys that gave me the psychlogical boost to do this. You guys took the chance and did the work to make sure they worked correctly with PTLE, and I got the benefit. And I do appreciate it! Thanks.
yeah man, like you, i appreciate all the knowledge that is shared in the thread and DUC!!! it was my 1st build and i totally enjoyed the process and result.

Quote:
Xigmatek S1283 Cooler ($35)
LIANLI|PC-7B PLUS II BLK ($89)
how are your temps?? i've got the same case and like it a lot. since i decided to leave my box OC'ed i decided to put 2 additional MASSCOOL 80mm fans in it. one on top as an intake and one on the side vent as an exhaust, right at the graphics card. so now my temps are pretty close @3.10ghz as they were @2.4ghz kinda nice!!
__________________
bassist...deep pocketz anyone???!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Reply With Quote
  #1348  
Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
JPS JPS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 924
Default

Honestly, I have not looked a lot at the temps yet. At 3.2 ghz when running full load, my CPU is 60-62C and the system shows 38-40C. When it goes back down to idle, then the CPU reduces to about 40C. I have been using the Easy Tune Center to monitor the temps. It does increase the DPC Latency, so I would rather have something else for monitoring temps, but just not sure what at this point. I assume my temps are OK, but nothing great.

I went with the Xigmatek S1238 cooler because it got pretty good reviews on Newegg, was reasonably priced, fairly quiet and was good when overclocking. There is a $10 rebate off the price I paid.

I like Lian Li cases. I built my first computer 4 years ago with Lian Li and I like how light the cases are. The newer cases are much improved and I love the big and quiet 120 mm fans- both of them. Since I have a fanless and rather simple video card, I don't make a lot of extra heat, so I am not planning on adding more fans. So far no problems and rather pleased with the system.
__________________
John-Q6600,GA-EP35-DS3P, Zigmatec S1283: 235 D-Verbs @ 2.4 ghz
Reply With Quote
  #1349  
Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 AM
sunburst79 sunburst79 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Posts: 12,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
lowroller, I put together a self-built DAW that is similar to yours... and I am very impressed. Mine also is definately living up to expectations!

Here are the basis specs:

Gibabyte GA-EP35-DS3P ($95)
Q6600 - GO stepping ($189)
Xigmatek S1283 Cooler ($35)
LIANLI|PC-7B PLUS II BLK ($89)
GSkill DDR2 1056 2GB ($59)
PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-450VX ($79)
VGA ASUS EAH3450/HTP/512M RT ($43)
DVD BURN LITE-ON|LH-20A1L-06 ($34)
Western Digital HD 320G SATA2 WD3200AAKS ($70)

I am very pleased with the motherboard performance. The Gigabyte motherboards do have DPC Latency"spikes" issues, but they were fixed on this board with the F4c Bios. Latency is great at 4-8ms and No spikes! The integrated onboard firewire ports work fine with PTLE and it's nice to know Gigabyte uses the Texas Instruments chipset, which is the chipset in the Digi recommended firewire cards. The mobo also comes with a eSATA PCI card, which may be nice for recording on drives without installing them in the system.

Overclocking? Oh yeah... it looked like a lot of fun and I wanted to join in...and the results are way out there! The board has a heat pipe on the North bridge to help keep things a little cooler. I've never overclocked before but this board makes it easy with an automatic voltage control option. Sweet!

Anyway, the setup is very stable at stock settings and has produced no errors, other than the expected -9129 Out of CPU power.

Results:
D-Verbs at 2.4 ghz= 255
D-Verbs at 3.6 ghz= 360

No, that's not a typo and I was pretty surprized I was able to hit 3.6. Of, course, I don't plan on leaving it there, it's a little too toasty at 61C. Perhaps a more mild 3.2 ghz, which is very stable, reboots fine and still produces a very usable 325 D-Verbs. Oh, all the options...

As Sunburst mentioned, I was quite concerned I might fall under the 315 D-Verbs.

Anyway, this has been a lot of fun putting this together and testing it. And I am sooooooo glad I didn't go with a Dell. This setup is very quiet, powerful and lots of extra power, if needed. The only thing I might have done different is to buy the Patriot DDR2 1150 memory. Based on my testing it would get me about another 12 or so D-Verbs.

My old P4 2.8 ghz Norwood CPU got me 24 D-Verbs in a ASUS P4C800 motherboard. The Q6600 has 10x the processing power. Got to love those quads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Thanks, mykhal

It was you and all the other quad guys that gave me the psychlogical boost to do this. You guys took the chance and did the work to make sure they worked correctly with PTLE, and I got the benefit. And I do appreciate it! Thanks.
Nothing agaist DELLS but these work so much better for the same or less money.

This has been a community effort and I'm still amazed at how well they work, how cost effective they have become and I'm not aware of anybody that we haven't managed to get up and running using a "Q approved" Intel chipset. And I can tell you (along with MykhalC, Shan and a few others) that from the emails I have received that the posts in thread are the tip of the iceberg as far as the actual number of builds go.

With a little bit of digging and posting you can always find help on the DUC, by Skype or POTS (Plain Old fashioned Telephone Service)

FWIW if you had really run into problems I would have driven over to help solve them. Your pretty tech savvy though.

It's a lot of fun to build this stuff, Do the research, find the parts, shop for price and built it. Lot of things I like about OSX and Apple but there will always be a a part of me thats part street rodder/drag racer/rocket scientist/casemodder/system builder that always has me looking forward.

Its pretty cool to look at that box and say 10x more powerful.... and know you built it.

Welcome to the Core!
__________________
Scott

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Reply With Quote
  #1350  
Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
mlange's Avatar
mlange mlange is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
.... I'm not aware of anybody that we haven't managed to get up and running using a "Q approved" Intel chipset.
Hey Sunburst79,

Not to be stupid, but I've been pouring over posts for quite some time and am getting ready to jump-in. Which current model production MB's are "Q approved" for the Q6600 or Q9540 CPUs? Each listed Asus board I've checked into is no longer available at Newegg, and I'm Jonesin' for 300+ dverbs :)

Thanks!
__________________
________________________
www.PlethoraTone.com
PlethoraTone Studio Video Tour
At PlethoraTone:
Intel Core i7-4960X, Asus P9X79 LE, W7 Pro 64-bit, 16GB DDR3,
Avid HD Native, Pro Tools HD v10, 4/192 I/O, 2/UAD-2 QUAD,
Tascam US-2400, Exponential Audio, PSP, Kush, Slate Digital,
Waves Mercury, PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i7 Builds - Specs and Results mykhal c Windows 6780 08-16-2019 05:40 PM
Intel Quad Core vs. i-series solidwalnut 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 7 11-23-2010 05:16 AM
Have a Quad Core (Asus P5K). Use Only One Core Active For Best Results? MIDI Issues. epu 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 11 08-12-2009 02:24 AM
are these specs ok? (low budget 2 core) korkman 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 8 08-22-2008 02:44 AM
8 Core Mac Pro, Leopard and Windows results pasanta 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 4 01-13-2008 06:51 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com